Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Redhawk in 45 Colt today, kind of rare but not really. The 45 Colt is on top.

Soon it will have Pachmyer Presentation grips as well.

A 4524254 mould is coming, on back order like everything else 馃檮

RJ

Registered
I had a couple of Redhawk's back in the day, but never a 45. That would have been pretty sweet.

Thanks for sharing.

Registered
Nice looking pair you have there. Only Redhawk I had was in blue steel 44 cal. Won it in a raffle yrs ago. My 45 Colt is a Ruger convertible with the ACP cylinder. Had it out at the range the other day. I was using a load with the 200 gr swc that I shoot in my 1911's. I do believe that's the first Redhawk I've seen in 45 Colt. Nice find.

Registered
That's a step down a slippery slope.... :)

I had a 5 1/2 in Redhawk in 45 Colt and I really liked it, until I tried a Freedom Arms Mod. 97. The heavyweight went down the road.....and I've regretted parting with it ever since, along with the S&W 25-5 I had.....:(

Registered
I had an early Redhawk in 44 Mag., SS with 7 1/2" barrel. It had the scope rings, with mounting 'notches' on the frame (as opposed to later Super Redhawks with the frame extension) in which I mounted a Leupold 2X scope. What I liked about that system was I carried a house key blank with me that I used as a scope ring 'screw driver' (worked perfectly) so I could change from scope to iron sights in the field in less than a minute. I would just slip the scope and rings into my pocket and keep moving. Very heavy with a scope mounted, but still less than a rifle!

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
If I find a 5.5" Redhawk in .45 Colt, I'll most likely be all over it! One of my favorite guns to carry deer hunting is a stainless 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk in .45 colt. It is a bit slimmer and trimmer than my .44 mag Redhawk for sure, although I haven't weighed the two. The Blackhawk, I can just stuff under my belt with the grips below my belly button and the muzzle just in front of my left hip bone. Surprisingly comfortable, at least to me.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wrong holster and belt combination will "drag you down". A wide belt, at least 3 inches, that supports only the holster is what I prefer. That or an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig, which holds your pants up 馃槈

Now the search begins for brass. Bullets are easy.

RJ

Reactions: sharps4590

Registered
Love the caliber, had an actual Colt SSA for a bit that I broke down and got it functioning perfectly but that thing couldn't hit anything I pointed it at
Sold it to a Collector
Bought a Ruger Vaccaro next along with the Marlin that had the Octagon barrel, I loved that set but a "Friend" talked me into selling it to him since he had just started riding his horse again and wanted a true saddle set up.. I sold it to him for a fair price, he sold it a profit within 6 months :(

I still have the S&W 25 and don't plan on getting rid of it

Is it just me or is there a cool factor when reloading those big ole cartridges :)

Registered
Congratulations that will be fun to shoot especially with your own cast bullets. Btw that's the first one I've ever seen in 45. My brother has redhawks in 357 and 44, I won a 44 in a drawing when they first came out and traded it on a whim. With a trigger job and a good set of grips those are a great hunting revolver. You have plenty of room to hang some steel plates out at 100-200yds, those big chunks of lead will ring them nicely.

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to try my hand at building a set of old Ruger Express sights. The vee notch rear sight is still available but no one makes the front 1/16" gold bead anymore. Very accurate and easy to aim even with " old eyes".

RJ

Reactions: sharps4590

Registered
I鈥檝e had a RedHawk 45 Colt for about ten years now. 4鈥 bbl, Hogue soft finger groove grips, a pleasure to own and shoot. Very accurate, great trigger..Nothing not to like about this one!!

Registered
I recently bought a Super Redhawk in .44. I was somewhat disappointed that the front sight was NOT the replaceable kind, just a sight held in place w/allen head screws. Bummer since I have a comllete set of front sights for my old Redhawk (which was stolen).

Registered
I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt. You'll like the revolver in any caliber, and you'll like the caliber. In the Redhawk, the .45 Colt can be loaded up to have the effective ballistics of the .44 Magnum (heavier projectile, slightly lower velocity). You'll trade a bit of trajectory "flatness" and get a SERIOUS increase in deep muscle penetration (greater bullet mass), though there's plenty with both rounds.

Registered
Well shucks. Here I was all excited to read "Got Me a 45 Colt" expecting to see a well preserved Peacemaker, then I open up to see a Redhawk. Now that I've recovered, it's still a nice set. Congrats on the expanded collection. 馃憤

Premium Member
So, while it's not a Ruger, it is .45 colt...
S&W Mountain Gun. It came with the rubber grips, but they are too small for my hands. I replaced them with standard walnut grips.
I would like to have just a little longer barrel, but it is what it is....
Big G View attachment 104788 View attachment 104789
That's a very nice pistola. It really deserves a 5" barrel. "But it is what it is"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts