Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoorray!!!!! :D I just got my Rossi 92 .45 Colt back from M&M Gunsmithing. He did quite a bit of work on it, including cutting a dovetail on the barrel and installing a regular front sight. This replaced the barrel band sight that used to be on it.
It will also feed anything I have here at the house. Before it wouldn't even feed factory ammo.
Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and shoot it.

Now I have a question.
I always sight my rifles in at 100 yards. Even the handgun caliber ones. But here in IL I am not a member of a gun club so I have no outdoor ranges to shoot at. And the indoor ranges are limited to 25 yards.
So; if I wanted to get close to "on" at a hundred yards with standard Winchester or Remington 255-250 gr factory ammo, how high should I set my point of impact at 25 yards?
I know there is a ballistics program on this forum, but I don't know what velocity I would be getting from the 20" barrel using factory loads. Without that I can't figure anything.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry - don't have any input for your sighting question.

Too bad you had to send it off before use! With a new sight, did you get rid of the barrel band? and what other mods were performed?

There is so little information on-line about the M92, does it come from the factory ready for scope moounting? Will it take other iron sights?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nfmMike,

Yep, the barrel band front sight is GONE!!!! In its place is a regular dovetailed flattop front sight.

I had an action and trigger job done. And the feeding problems were corrected.

I also had the side of the receiver drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. I'm not sure if I'm going to use a Williams sight, or my old all steel Lyman sight that is currently on my Win 94 Trapper .45.
This rifle has no provisions for scope mounting. It's just a plain Mdl 92 clone. Like what you would have found in the early 1900's.
As for other brands of iron sights, it apears to have a standard 3/8 dovetail, so it should take most anything on the market.

When I get my receiver sight on it, I'll just put a dovetail blank in the rear sight slot and forget about it.
All my lever guns have either Williams or Lyman receiver sights on them but my 9422, and it's next.

This rifle is an early 90's vintage, and I'm not sure what kind of sight changes they have made since it was built.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thank you for the information. Have fun shootin'!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts