Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had to go into town today for supplies. I live south of town and the County range is on the north side, about 13 miles from me. The (locked) gate has a sign on it saying Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham (D) has determined that the shooting range is unnecessary in this time of social distancing. Someone scrawled in pen a notation after her name which reflected my exact thoughts while reading the notice.

At our range, unless there's a competition or some kind of learning program, there are rarely more than 5 or six people at the entire range, and even when busy, no more than that many at any of the ranges at one time. Ridiculous. Who else is suffering this malady?

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
My local range had that sign up. Folks that drove out to the club caught the local police and sheriffs using the public range.

They reopened the range the next day. They just locked up every other bench on the rifle range. It’s hardly ever more than half full anyways. Pistol bays are business as usual. No club shoots but I see guys out on the cowboy range, silhouette range, and trap club practicing.

Call your local club and leave a complaint. The Federal government (president) has made the statement that firearm related industries are essential.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Several of the clubs around here are closed completely, the range I belong to has cancelled all matches but remains open for members, social distancing encouraged. Great that they are not overreacting like so many other places but it's purely academic in light of the weather, lows overnights in the teens and highs barely above freezing during the days, it's been snowing since yesterday with about 6" accumulation. You would really have to want to go shooting to tolerate this weather.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What about range firearm checks?

Several of the clubs around here are closed completely, the range I belong to has cancelled all matches but remains open for members, social distancing encouraged. Great that they are not overreacting like so many other places but it's purely academic in light of the weather, lows overnights in the teens and highs barely above freezing during the days, it's been snowing since yesterday with about 6" accumulation. You would really have to want to go shooting to tolerate this weather.
Our LCWC range out near Lapwai, Id. is closed up tight. It's the close quarters in the R.O.'s office where they sign you in, take your fees, and inspect your firearms. Most R.O.'s are male retirees, so Covid-19 would hit them very hard. Plus the restrooms and eating areas would be a fright for everyone. So, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Our LCWC range out near Lapwai, Id. is closed up tight. It's the close quarters in the R.O.'s office where they sign you in, take your fees, and inspect your firearms. Most R.O.'s are male retirees, so Covid-19 would hit them very hard. Plus the restrooms and eating areas would be a fright for everyone. So, better safe than sorry!
Your range has a sign in and inspects your firearms?

Is this a shooting range or the TSA? Lol.

I’ve been to several where you pay per trip. But never one that inspects firearms.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Walmart has older people with conditions, restrooms, a McDonalds, and even their own food counter. It's open. Most restaurants are open, at bare minimum for drive-through customers. California Costco stores are open. Older people have to go to gas stations and may need to go inside where there are: more older people, young "carriers", bathrooms, food counters, door handles to push and pull on, etc.

I see your point, Carpooler, but we are all taking precautions the best we can. Elderly people who are especially at risk are probably not going to even want to go to the range, let alone eat or pee. And if they do, it's because they want to. Nobody forces them to go - and nobody should keep them away. What's with this firearms inspection BS? Anyway, they can wear gloves and....so can we. It's to the point where government is this all-knowing and all-controlling entity, anointed with the power to decide what's best for you and I to the point that it's out of control.

Now, IF a store or business owner fears for himself and employees and wants to close up shop, that's different. That's HIS choice, not his mandate. Funny thing is I didn't go out there to shoot, I just wanted to kill a few minutes and see IF they were open. I want my range back! :)D)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Our local range, Rio Salado Sportsmans Club, is open and bending over backwards trying to keep it so. All organized activities cancelled, all ranges open with personal distancing encouraged. Main range has shooters at every other bench with RO's wiping all surfaces of human contact frequently. Sign-in has been made touchless.

Yes, our range has paper sign-in with fees for non-members, firearms inspection for muzzle brakes (assigned to certain areas of range) and assure all brought in are unloaded. Handguns are the worst offenders as concealed firearms folks feel they are allowed to go in still wearing their loaded firearms.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
Total silliness, in the grocery store yesterday and the checkout lady was about to have a fit of apoplexy when I stepped too close to the pin-pad to put my card in and enter the code :rolleyes:

Never mind that she was handling EVERY item that EVERY customer put on the conveyor belt, with her bare hands.... and I doubt that the conveyor belt, or the pin pad, has ever been sanitized :rolleyes:

Plus you can't stay 6 feet away from people in the store, the aisles are too narrow. I guess we're only at risk while in the checkout line, not in the rest of the store?????

Total stupidity. And the local big-box home-improvement store has been more crowded than I've ever seen it. Guess people are looking for something to do around the house.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Total silliness, in the grocery store yesterday and the checkout lady was about to have a fit of apoplexy when I stepped too close to the pin-pad to put my card in and enter the code :rolleyes:

Never mind that she was handling EVERY item that EVERY customer put on the conveyor belt, with her bare hands.... and I doubt that the conveyor belt, or the pin pad, has ever been sanitized :rolleyes:

Plus you can't stay 6 feet away from people in the store, the aisles are too narrow. I guess we're only at risk while in the checkout line, not in the rest of the store?????

Total stupidity. And the local big-box home-improvement store has been more crowded than I've ever seen it. Guess people are looking for something to do around the house.
Same stupid crap going on here in the grocery stores. Home depot has all kinds of crazy rules for standing in line, once inside none apply, moronic.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now this is a County (Govt.) range that we are taxed for (and charged membership fees for[?]). Still, the Governor could have listed some simple rules of behavior for range officers (as listed above by kdub), and some for the range officers to enforce (as listed above), and left the range open. But, it's firearms a related activity, after all, and this is an "anti-gun" Governor.

I saw a photo of a Walmart aisle somewhere (it looked like a Walmart anyway) where the aisle was cordoned off with yellow caution tape because the items there were "non-essential" (and who exactly decides this?), or so the caption said. I can't grant credibility to that photo, and who can in today's age of deceit, but this shooting range business makes other crap all the more believable.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts

Yes. A lot of people are just pure panic right now. My father is that way. Even though him and my mom are in their early 50’s and have no underlying health issue that put them at risk.

He is blowing it way out of proportion in my opinion.

I’ve been doing a bunch of yard work and maintenance while we are shut down. I have gone to the range about three times. Shot a bunch of rimfire! Probably going to go back a few more times. Done a little fishing too. Not the best fisherman but the largemouth were biting!

Stretch, if you’ve got a range finder, I’m sure you’ve got a lot of BLM land you are free to go shoot on! Find you a good natural backstop, setup and range your target! Fire at will! I do it all the time when I want to shoot past our range’s 200 yard max.

I’m thinking about buying a motorcycle or maybe go camping/trail riding while this is going on. Something to get away from the craziness and keep myself busy and entertained. I’ve been stuck at home for 3 weeks now. I don’t know how people do it!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Stretch, if you’ve got a range finder, I’m sure you’ve got a lot of BLM land you are free to go shoot on! Find you a good natural backstop, setup and range your target! Fire at will! I do it all the time when I want to shoot past our range’s 200 yard max.
I have a couple of places on BLM land that I do go to shoot on, Trent. Problem is, with all the BLM gates to have to go through, 7 BLM one way and the other way has 1 BLM and 2 STATE gates to open and close, it's really a hassle to get out there. There is a cozy little "bowl" on the side of a mountain that is perfect for shooting, but as there are no benches or awnings, I have to improvise in addition to having to fuss with the gates. It's beautiful, but it's a pain to get to.

Now this BLM stuff comes with a humorous story: A couple of three years ago I went south on the highway from my house about a mile, then west on a dirt road for about a mile. This is the first gate in a series of seven on the journey to my "range". It's a cedar pole/wire gate with a chain hooked around a large cedar post. Typical ranch gate, I get up there and the chain has 7 or 8 locks on it! BLM, USBP, and an ungodly number of rancher or who knows who else's locks. (EDIT: I remember now, at least one gas company lock. This is a gas pipeline road through BLM land) In a period of about 2 weeks this collection of locks magically appeared. Smoking hot, I drove in to Home Depot and bought a large pair of bolt cutters. While on the north side of town, I went ahead and got some other business done and eventually it was too late to go back out and cut every stinking lock and every single chain link off that gate!

About a week went by and so, armed with my new, unused bolt cutters (that now stay in my truck at all times), I drove back out intent on a little breaking and entering. I got there and there is no gate to be seen! Both hinge-side and lock-side posts are leaning crazily and some of the barbed wire is messed up on one side. Almost immediately I realized what happened. Someone with more common sense than me acted judiciously and solved the problem the easy way (albeit with some danger of damaging his truck). Gates open! I'm happy and head on in. A few yards further in, there lies the mangled gate with its adornment of chains and locks, strewn off to the side like garbage.

It was never locked before that time and, although the gate was replaced, it's never been locked since.

Now, in case anyone wonders why there are State gates out there on BLM land, here's why: This is a large chunk of BLM land, south and west of Alamogordo. A rancher or two lease the vast majority of it for cattle ranching. In the middle of this tract, there is a little 3 or 4 acre plot of NM State land. For many years you could drive in there on BLM land and drive from Highway 70 all the way to Oro Grande (thinking maybe you know there area a little, Trent), and never know you drove over some State land. But all of the sudden, in about 2017, NM decided they needed to fence both side of their property with nice, steel swing gates. A simple chain secures them. So now, after opening a BLM gate and driving a few miles, you have to d*!k with two more gates! They couldn't put cattle guards there, because that wouldn't harass the public enough. Unfortunately, they are still standing and besides, however irksome, are at least not locked.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
Been locked down three weeks now and looks like at least another three weeks. I have actually left home four times in that period, for LPG for my land Rover, for 16 bags of compost from my local nursery and twice to small local stores for supplies. On all occaions I have been impressed by the way people stick to the rules.
The gas station(LPG) had black arrows for everyone to follow and red lines where to wait, spot on no big deal and I believe it was flowing better than normal. Our small local stores have systems in place to protect themselves but offer a dab of hand cleanser before or after you make your purchase. The nursery for the compost was very well organised. The front gate was closed, you called in to a mobile phone and they gave you a pickup time and on arrival your purchases where on barrows just inside the gate. Help yourself and the receit stuck to the purchase. BUT there again just as I collected mine a pathetic idiot with a great belief in himself was going round all those sticking by the rules infringing their space. He got one long stare from me and decided maybe not a good idea. The problem is it only takes one.

My range is open but there again I'm the only member.

Stay safe guys this aint a rehearsal anyway but no reason to be early at the party.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yes, I know that area somewhat.

I hunt and shoot a lot off of 62/180 between Hobbs and Carlsbad. And all the smaller highways off of that highway. 360, 243, 82, 529, etc... and a lot off of 285 between Carlsbad and Artesia. Also like to spend time back off of 137 and in the Guadalupe’s around Queen, New Mexico. I only recently started going up into Queen when I was invited by friends and it’s a very nice place to go. Not much out there though. And it’s an arid Forest. No water at all! Almost all of that is fairly “Gate free”. Most all of it is oil lease roads. So there is plenty of access. Usually just cattleguards. But traffic can be a burden sometimes.

And you need to have an active map that shows who owns the property because it’s so dispersed like a jigsaw puzzle and people flat out refuse to mark private property here for some reason. But they do get mad if you come close to it. We have a lot of state land close to where I live. Which you can hunt on, but the rules are much more restrictive as you know. I’ve got to drive about 1/3 the way toward Carlsbad to hit BLM. I live on the edge of Hobbs. For now anyways!

I’ve spent more time around Las Cruses than Alamogordo. But even then. Most of that was 4x4 and dirt bike play. My older Brother has lived in Las Cruses from 2011-2016. Then he went to Tucson AZ for about 2 years, then back to Las Cruses. I LOVE the desert mountains. Alamogordo is equally as nice! I’ve got an Uncle named Dan who lives there that I’ve never met.

I like to shoot off of one of the cap rocks down into the large sand dunes. It provides a very safe backdrop/bullet stop and let’s me shoot as far as I want!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
Envy you guys with all that public land to shoot on!

I've been told by medical people, that if you can detect an odor through a mask, it isn't stopping an airborne virus. To put it in more blunt terms.... if you can smell a 'body odor' (AHEM) .... then that mask isn't protecting you.

People wandering around wearing coffee filters, handkerchiefs, dust masks from the hardware store, and the like are deluding themselves.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, had to go into town today for supplies. I live south of town and the County range is on the north side, about 13 miles from me. The (locked) gate has a sign on it saying Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham (D) has determined that the shooting range is unnecessary in this time of social distancing. Someone scrawled in pen a notation after her name which reflected my exact thoughts while reading the notice.

At our range, unless there's a competition or some kind of learning program, there are rarely more than 5 or six people at the entire range, and even when busy, no more than that many at any of the ranges at one time. Ridiculous. Who else is suffering this malady?
I'm up in Santa Fe County and the range club I belong to is also shut down. Every time I've been there to shoot I've seen one, maybe two other people total and they're always down at the other end of the line. NMSP still are using the pistol range though. Some of the local NIMBY's also tried to get the BLM shooting area shut down, but BLM blew them off so it's still open. I can see taking some precautions, but the lack of common sense by this governor is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I went to the PO this morning and they are only allowing one person in at a time. Grant you, it is a VERY small Post Office, but still. I don't remember a time that it was ever just me in there. lol

I am practicing all the things we are supposed to be doing, but my wife works at a facility that has already had numerous cases, so I am most likely exposed by now.

All of the ranges here are closed...which is why I am looking at doing a home range.

Good luck to all of y'all and stay safe. I am probably high risk as I have vascular issues, so I am being as careful as I can, but I still have to venture out from time to time.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Locally it's mainly no more than 10 people on the range at any time and in fact they've set up appointments and restrictions about the number of people shooting together.

We're open, just more restricted. real pain, the range we built at my buddies house is across the state line and they're locked down. I wouldn't sweat driving over there, but I have no real reason to piss off his wife by being out when she can't really be, other than for walks, etc.

Next week when the weather's better, I'll just pay to shoot.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The PA Game Commission ranges were all closed weeks ago. In NYC, my Club is closed and so its pistol range also. The pistol league has cancelled matches until late April at least.
Restaurants are open for take out only in both PA and NYC.
Most people that I see in NYC are wearing gloves and a protective mask. In PA, it seems to me that there is less strict observance of the glove/mask thing but the area is way more rural than NYC.
It may be impossible to stay six feet away from a person in a store....that is why a mask is recommended. The six foot distance is based on how far a a sneeze or cough can carry the virus. If you are in a store with narrow aisles, a mask will
provide protection that distancing cannot.
Pete

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.