Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yup, generally takes the better part of a year to update an existing vaccine - which is why the usual flu vaccine generally is nowhere near as effective as folks would assume. The virus has plenty of time to mutate before the next flu season. So it is a crapshoot as to whether the flu vaccine will be the least bit effective. As a matter of fact, in a friend's family, two of the three got the flu shot, but all of them ended up getting the flu! A small sample size, but it shows you that it can happen.

Anyway, wouldn't pay too much attention to talking heads on radio, any more than I would pay attention to them on TV.

I once received an award from my employer for going 5 full years without an absence. I was going for 6 years, but then the company offered free flu shots, so I got one. Shortly after, I was out for a full week. Yes, I got the flu.

Learned my lesson. Never got another flu shot, and in the 30 years since, I've been healthy with only an occasional bout with the sniffles.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
" Never got another flu shot"

On the other hand, my sister was determined not to get a flu shot, then got type A & type B flu at the same time two yeas ago!:eek::D

·
Registered
520 Posts
" Never got another flu shot"

On the other hand, my sister was determined not to get a flu shot, then got type A & type B flu at the same time two yeas ago!:eek::D
And how many people who DID get the flu shot, ended up getting type A and type B? I know several people who got the flu, in spite of getting the shot.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I've never had a flu shot, but any time I go to the doctor they ask "Have you got a flu shot this year?". No.

The way I understand it, when you get a flu shot you are getting a small dose of the virus that they think is most prevalent, or most likely the one responsible for flu in your area. So, yes you will get sick, but it's supposed to be mild and just enough that your body's immune system learns to fight and develop immunity to that particular strain. Rather than a "small" dose, probably more correct is you get a weakened strain of that flu - just enough to cause your body's system to come to arms but not so powerful as to overwhelm it.

So, if last year you got a shot with strain "A", because that's what they believed was mostly the strain going around, and then this year you get strain "B", you should get a mild flu for each, but then your body is immune (or maybe just "more" immune) to those strains.

But, each year there's a new strain, or maybe some have mutated, so while they're doing their best to get it right, in the end it's a crap shoot in the dark.

If you get a flu shot and you do not get mildly ill, then you have been exposed to that strain of the flu virus before, either having "caught it" and suffered it or been vaccinated with it (eh, and thusly suffered it). Your body has built up the proper defense to take care of it before you feel anything other than a sniffle, if that. All of this is dependent on a strong immune system in general, I would think.

I believe that's how it works anyway. Give it the credibility it deserves - I've been a pretend doctor since I was a kid.

EDITED: I have used words or phrases such as call or come to arms, shot, defense, fight, crap shoot, etc. , in order to remain within firearms related forum guidelines

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
No. You get a vaccine that is based on last year's flu. And this year's flu strain may or may not have anything to do with last year's. Which is why the 'flu shot' has, generally, a mixed record.

Things that don't mutate much from year to year, like smallpox, polio, etc., have a much better record in regard to vaccines. The flu virus mutates too fast for the vaccine makers to reliably keep up. Some years they get close, others not so much.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yes, but each year there are more than just one strain of flu in America. They say there can be several, which to me indicates 3 or more. I really don't know if our bodies really ever become immune to the flu because it seems it's always different. Some people have stronger immune systems than others, so they fight off flus as they come along, and when they get a flu shot, they feel little if any ill effects.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The challenge starts with the virus itself.

An expert shape-shifter, the flu is constantly changing — mutating as it replicates itself — in ways that allow its strains to get past our body's immune defenses even if we've had the flu before, or if we roll up our sleeves for the shot each fall.

The result? “It's a bit of a war between us and the virus,” says David Wentworth, director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Influenza in the U.S., which is run out of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta.

This battle plays out not only within the bodies of people who come down with the flu's signature fever, chills and muscle aches, but also in laboratories around the world, where researchers must work quickly to analyze how the flu virus is changing in order to predict what it might do next.

Your flu shot if you got one never contains a live virus. it is harvseted from the egg then killed and injected in the the human. the Humans body is supposed to devlope the anti bodies to fight that strain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The challenge starts with the virus itself.

An expert shape-shifter, the flu is constantly changing — mutating as it replicates itself — in ways that allow its strains to get past our body's immune defenses even if we've had the flu before, or if we roll up our sleeves for the shot each fall.

The result? “It's a bit of a war between us and the virus,” says David Wentworth, director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Influenza in the U.S., which is run out of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta.

This battle plays out not only within the bodies of people who come down with the flu's signature fever, chills and muscle aches, but also in laboratories around the world, where researchers must work quickly to analyze how the flu virus is changing in order to predict what it might do next.

Your flu shot if you got one never contains a live virus. it is harvseted from the egg then killed and injected in the the human. the Humans body is supposed to devlope the anti bodies to fight that strain.
Don't let science and medicine confuse the issue. Listen to your buddies down at the feed store. They're the ones who really know.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Wife and I get our yearly flu shot every October. Haven't had the flu in years.

Reactions: moosehunt

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
If you want to learn more about what can be done to effectively treat the "cooties" absent a vaccine, put this into your search engine:

Vladimir Zelenko MD

and see what comes up. There are ways to get ahead of this thing. Unfortunately, cheap, existing remedies sorta give our medical establishment a fit of apoplexy, even when they are proven to work. His interviews have made to to some of the national media, just not very much.

It is pretty basic science, really.

I realize we are the shooter's forum, not the medical forum, so I'll just point you guys in the right direction and let you decide what to read, or not read. Anyway, in view of the present circumstances, kind of impossible for the topic to not come up on the forum.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I think I have heard Zelenko on Hannity's radio show a couple of times. He's very knowledgeable, just based on what I've picked up in my short, little life.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The guy at the feed store. Absolutely.
A guy I've known for decades is wending his way down the conspiracy road. I talked to him last week.
He is convinced C-19 is A: fake, B: Chi-com manufactured and sent to the USA, C: No hazard to anyone, much less him.
Also, he won't get flu shots because of the "chip" the government puts in the vaccine to track you.

He is serious. I am seriously concerned for his mental well being.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The guy at the feed store. Absolutely.
A guy I've known for decades is wending his way down the conspiracy road. I talked to him last week.
He is convinced C-19 is A: fake, B: Chi-com manufactured and sent to the USA, C: No hazard to anyone, much less him.
Also, he won't get flu shots because of the "chip" the government puts in the vaccine to track you.

He is serious. I am seriously concerned for his mental well being.
I would find it hard not to pull his leg by telling him they don’t need chips it’s not 1960 anymore nowdays they just put it in the pet food.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Guys, you really cannot get the flu from a flu shot. The flu shot contains inactivated virus (think 'killed'), or rather just a piece (gene) that is what your immune system needs to be able to recognize and make antibodies against.

You CAN get side-effects from a flu shot that can sometimes very closely mimic the flu. That has happened to me before, but not for a long time.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misconceptions.htm

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, I haven't had the flu in 48 years. I have never had a flu shot. I am not about to start getting them now.
My body, as beat up as it is, is still stronger than a flu bug.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Keep on dreaming, Mr. shooterPaul. That is not how it works in the real world. Flu shots give one some degree of protection, granted for only some strains, never all. And, they will not give you the flu of any strain (unless it happens to be a faulty batch--very unlikely). One may get some minor side effects, but not the flu. The shots are not a cure-all (prevent-all?), but the relatively minor side effects that some folks get are minor when compared to the actual flu that they might have gotten. One can certainly go for many years and get no flu shots and no flu--luck of the draw--but if you get the shot and are exposed to one of the strains it is designed for, you are pretty safe, but if you get exposed and don't have that degree of artificial immunity to that strain, sorry, you get the flu. The shot never protects from all strains, but the strains that you get vaccinated for are out there, and if you get exposed to that strain, you are in pretty good shape if you got the vaccination; if not you're likely sick!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Keep on dreaming, Mr. shooterPaul. That is not how it works in the real world. Flu shots give one some degree of protection, granted for only some strains, never all. And, they will not give you the flu of any strain (unless it happens to be a faulty batch--very unlikely). One may get some minor side effects, but not the flu. The shots are not a cure-all (prevent-all?), but the relatively minor side effects that some folks get are minor when compared to the actual flu that they might have gotten. One can certainly go for many years and get no flu shots and no flu--luck of the draw--but if you get the shot and are exposed to one of the strains it is designed for, you are pretty safe, but if you get exposed and don't have that degree of artificial immunity to that strain, sorry, you get the flu. The shot never protects from all strains, but the strains that you get vaccinated for are out there, and if you get exposed to that strain, you are in pretty good shape if you got the vaccination; if not you're likely sick!
I never got flu shots until 5 years ago when my annual bout with it became progressively worse to the point I thought it would hospitalize me.
Knock on wood I've not had a serious flu since getting the shots when they come out in the fall.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
We've meandered from the point several times now, I think this one has run its course.

Thanks to all who contributed.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.