Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried their presses? I guess it's their brand. They have a bunch of SmartReloader branded products. I'm also curious about that cheap little digit scale they have, the SR750.

Any thoughts on SmartReloader in general?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have heard they were junk with rams out of alignment and also sloppy tolerances.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
On another forum a member bought the single stage press and was unhappy with the ram to frame fit, .015" slop.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I believe that the SR line is Graf's answer to Midway's Frankford Arsenal. Perhaps the particular Chinese factory that Graf is using isn't quite up to snuff yet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is NOT a Grafs line. Grafs simply added these products to their inventory. If i am not mistaken Midsouth carried this junk before Grafs.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
You may be right, and it also may not be a Grafs-owned line. That aspect notwithstanding, the fact that more than one vendor carries the product is _not_ an indication that it isn't essentially a vendor-owned line. Frankford stuff directly replaced many of the Midway-labeled products, and in at least many cases things were identical after the name change. Having a non-vendor label on things can make contract negotiations smoother with the big names, though.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
No point in buying such junk when the excellent Lee Classic Cast press is available at a reasonable price. My copy is perfect as near as I can tell and beats presses over twice as expensive on strength, precision, ease of use and features. I think it set me back $57 when Midway had a sale.

I can't say about the scale? The $30 ones get mixed reviews which make it appear some units work a lot better than others. Not consistent, so it is catch as catch can as to whether you'll get a good one or not? About the cheapest one I've heard consistent good reviews of is the $75 scale that Brian Enos sells. There is a version around at half that price, but the cal weight and capacity are half what Enos's version has (50 gm instead of 100 gm)) and it doesn't carry the 20 year warranty Enos's scale does (the only such warranty on an electronic scale that I've ever seen). From the maximum weight difference I would guess the same company makes them with the same electronics, but with different load cells. Unfortunately for bargain hunters, the load cell is most of what makes an electronic scale good or bad. One could be an inexpensive capacitance cell, replete with drift and whatnot, while the other might be a real strain gauge cell? No way to tell without dissecting them. I know Enos's scale has had good reviews. It's probably the cheapest one I would be willing to try if I needed another electronic scale (only have four now, if you count the old Lyman 1200 that doesn't work anymore.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No point in buying such junk when the excellent Lee Classic Cast press is available at a reasonable price. My copy is perfect as near as I can tell and beats presses over twice as expensive on strength, precision, ease of use and features. I think it set me back $57 when Midway had a sale.
I paid $49.99 for my classic cast when it first came out and have swaged a good many bullets with it as well as loaded a few thousand rounds on it. I was extremely rough with the swage die since i swaged a lot of linotype and i would put my weight on it (200 lbs.) and bounce on the thing to be able to swage the lino! I worked the press loose from the bench several times. As far as those $30 scales go...Well i bought 4 of them and only two worked.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think that Frankfort Arsenal is a Midway brand, because Graf and Son's sells some Frankfort stuff as well.

In either case, I guess I won't be buying SmartReloader stuff afterall. Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't think that Frankfort Arsenal is a Midway brand, because Graf and Son's sells some Frankfort stuff as well.

In either case, I guess I won't be buying SmartReloader stuff afterall. Thanks.
I do think that frankford is a midway brand even though other retailers carry the products.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Frankford Arsenal is owned by Battenfield Technologies. Not Midway USA. Don't let the color blue fool you guys. Battenfield Technologies also owns PAST, Miles Gilbert, Adams Bennet, Caldwell, Tipton, Wheeler and Fajen.

Let's end this idea that Midway USA owns Frankford. They do not.

Getting off of that, are there any other "off the wall" brands that anyone knows of? Any good or is it junk?

·
Registered
2 Posts
stuff

the stuff shows a columbia, mo address which is were midway resides. battenfield sells to anyone under his frankford label and others.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Smart Reloader line seems to be an Italian company who imports their products from China. Noticed their products on European websites about 2 years ago. Noticed Midsouth had a few of their products about a year ago.

Grafs added their line of products not too long ago.

I have the low priced smart reloader SR750 digital scale from Grafs. Bought to compare to the Franklin digital scale I have....but don't particularly like. SR750 digital scale seems to be OK.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the Midway employment form doesn't mean much being that there is no mention of Battenfield. Plus the addresses are different so that's not proof of anything either. Plus I had even emailed the two companies regarding the matter. Neither replied.

In either case it doesn't matter and has nothing to do with the thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts