Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I have grampas Winchester 1892 32-20 octogan barrel born in 1902. I've loaded for bolt action rifles since the 70s but never a lever action, I've done a ton of research on load info but can't find anything on signs of high pressure in a lever action. I'm guessing hard extraction, maby flat primer?? Not looking for Max load but would like to get a 115 grain cast to 1250 FPS. My uncle's said grampa shot a pile of deer with it. I want to shoot just one with it..small deer at 30yds from a tree stand with snow on the ground or no shot taken. Any and all help appreciated. Thanksl

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under gunned for Shure. I bought the rifle off a family member before it ended up in a pawn shop. I paid an obscene amount for 50 starline brass on GB. RCBS dies, bullets from Midway. If my old pact chronograph don't work I will replace it. I'm going to make this happen. Jbelks pictures of blown up guns will make it a little more expensive than I planned. Hate to damage or wreck it. Gramps was a cool guy, long gone now, was a WW1 vet

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help, I had no clue about signs of pressure or any thing else for that matter for an old lever action. Any and all help, or criticism, is appreciated. I'm in uncharted waters and this gun is special to me. Going to learn how to post pics and update when I work a load up. Hopefully the end result the 3rd week in November in the North woods of Wisconsin...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Elk Creek. I bought that book last weekend. I've got that 115 gr bullet, rx7 and 2400, new brass and my chronograph working. From my research 1250 FPS with the 115 cast lead will get the job done . Will update as time permits, work, walleyes, and a snow goose hunt keeping me way too busy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts