Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30+ years ago I was given my Grandpa's Winchester 30-30. It was his "truck gun" that usally rode around behind the seat of his old pick up. When I got it I did'nt realize what I had so I completely stripped it and had it reblued.

Family legend says that Grandpa won this gun off the punch board at the local tavern. But when I look at the serial # I get a production date of around 1950. Did'nt think they had punch boards in Washington State back then.

Serial # is 1789901. On the left side it is stamped MODEL 94-30-30 WIN.

Can you tell me the age of this rifle and approximate value if it wasn't refinished.

Anyway, the gun sure looks nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BarkBuster,

I think you're right. No use fretting about something I can't undo. And, like you say, someday this rifle will go to a young person who will really appreciate it and it's history.

Thanks,

Jim Hay

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I think you're right. No use fretting about something I can't undo. And, like you say, someday this rifle will go to a young person who will really appreciate it and it's history.

Thanks,

Jim Hay
Jim,

My 12 year-old daughter harvested her first deer this fall, with her great-grandfather's Model '92 in 44/40. It had been refinished and a new Green Mountain barrel installed. I'm all for fine firearms but if you don't shoot 'em, they're just another piece of art.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The gun has far more value to you and YOUR grandkids than any money you could get for it, even if you'd left it alone.

Of course, out of your hearing one day, one of your grandkids will say, "Can you believe that old fool RUINED this classic like that!!!??? Think of what it would be WORTH!!!" :eek::D:D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The gun has far more value to you and YOUR grandkids than any money you could get for it, even if you'd left it alone.

Of course, out of your hearing one day, one of your grandkids will say, "Can you believe that old fool RUINED this classic like that!!!??? Think of what it would be WORTH!!!" :eek::D:D
A lot of truth in your humor. :D A re-blue is usually considered to cut the value in half at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts