Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, hope I picked the right forum for this question.I just got some hard cast Magnus .44 swc bullets, loaded 50 haven't shot them yet.These bullets have a single grease grove full of a hard bluish lube in the middle of the bullets bearing surface, with no lube on the rest of the bearing surface.My question is on firing how does lube move forward from the grease groove to lube the bearing surface on the front end of the bullet? I can see how the lube would be forced from the grease groove to the rear of the bullet on its trip down the barrel, but not how it would go forward to lube the front sides of the bullet. I'm shooting these at 800-1000fps in a SBH and a RH. If I run into leading problems I'm thinking of tumble lubing them in Lee liquid alox.Anybodies thoughts or help on this is welcome.Thanks Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
The leading edge of the first round down range is not lubed. It is not a big deal either. The blue, high temp lube is adequate for the round and velocity your are loading. The bore will then be coated with a thin layer of lube, not much really, but enough for the rest of your shooting session as each round fired will continue the process. After 50 rounds, if you see no or little leading, the lube is doing its job. Think of how many .22 RFs you can fire with no leading.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In general terms, leading is caused by poor bullet fit in the throat and the bore. Leading occrus when gas excapes past the bullet as it travels up the bore.
Lyman is realesing the latest addition of the Cast Bullet Handbook and this is a good place to to start to understand leading and lubricant.
I believe Marshal covers leading in his load book.
If you have proper bullet fit you can shoot unlubricated bullets without leading issues. Norman Johnson is well known for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts