Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loading cartridges for 20yrs. now and now that I have discovered CAS and that there were others out there still stuck in the 1800's like me I amazed.  But, being new to my 1885 High Wall and Black Powder reloading I have another question. Greased cookies over waxed paper, over the powder with someting else above the cookie, with the bullet lubed with the right stuff, or maybe this stuff or maybe this,,fouling and rust and, and and?? Is there and easyer way other than buying BP reloads.  I love loading and really want to reload black powder cartridges but, I do have two jobs and a little time for life. Is the info i'm comming up with old and there is an easer way?. Are there grease cookie disks out there so I can just pop one in my cartridge on top of my pyrodex powder charges and then just seat and crimp? Or am I just hopeing for the easy way out.  Any insight on this WOULD be greatly appreciated.  Josey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the typing and spelling errors, just finished reading the section about greased cookies.,  Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just pan lube your bullets with SPG and shoot Walters vegatable fiber wads. Don't lubrisize, just cast em', pan lube em', and shoot em'.
Mad`

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
Mr. Mad,

From reading your posts you seem to have a lot of experience with lead bullets & black powder & silhouette. Would you consider writing up some of your loading procedures for our tech notes? It could be very helpful information to other members. The Tech Notes section is something that everyone is invited to contribute to.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Indeed,

I'll second Mikes suggestion! In fact, we welcome user articles, and we're sorely missing good solid information for our black powder cartridge shooting friends using the website. I'm not a black powder cartridge loading/shooting guru, and some good solid basic, facutal data on the subject in the form of an article for the tech notes section would most welcomed.

Thanks to all, and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have found when loading for the 45-120 that I get better groups if I use a piece of punched out wad from cardboard,then a wonder wad unlubed,then the slug which has been lube with SPG or another home brew.I lube just up to the driving band and set it there in the case as its a single shot i don't crimp the cases

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some folks have had luck with a newspaper wad over the primer and pistol primers. This has had the most success in .38 loads.
Never crimp a case in Black Powder Cartridge. It's common practice to neck the belled case down while seating the bullet to where the case mouth just touches the chamber wall while being inserted into the chamber. This along with just touching the rifling with the bullet will ensure everything is straight. The belled mouth on loaded cartridges will differ from rifle to tifle because of all the different chamber reamers.
Mad`

·
Beartooth Regular
649 Posts
joe454,

You mentioned that you were using Pyrodex. Pyrodex produces much less fouling than most black powders. Therefore you will probably find that no grease cookie is needed.

Also. the type of bullet lubricant is less critical with Pyrodex.
I have found that to be true in my vintage '73 Winchester .44 W.C.F. The NRA 50/50 lube works as good as SPG when the cases are filled with Pyrodex.

In speaking with Carl Matthews, author of several books on b.p. shooting recently at a b.p. match, he mentioned that he does not use grease cookies that much any more.

Experiment and Have fun!

John

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w30wcf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts