21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Old guns are good ! most of my rifles are pre 64 , 50s, 40s ,30s

·
Premium Member
15,989 Posts
Be sure to keep the receiver buffer in good condition on Model 11s. Nylon works better than the original phenolic which are occasionally still found.

I had an old Model 14 Remington in the shop to clean and prepare for long term storage. It had just come from the estate of the customer's granddad in New England. Wadded up in the stock through-bolt hole was every deer tag for about 30 years. My wife spent hours ironing and straightening and put them all in a frame and gave it to the guy. Tears squirted out of both eyes and hers too.
There was a roll of silver quarters in an A-5 stock as a recoil reducer. Makes more sense than mercury! I've found two Remington sight sets from M740/742/760s in the stock hole. Great place for storage to restore the gun.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you refuse to modify a stock, then yeah; it will be challenging to find the perfect fit. I'm a gunsmith, so clearly I'm not afraid of taking a rasp to my stock if that's what it needs. And if you do it right, no one can tell. If you do it wrong though, it looks like ***.
If you are a gunsmith, than you should be able to build a stock to fit the shooter. Way different than bastardizing an existing stock. My point was that if you try many different stock models that are out there, you will find a few that fit. I found many early that "didn't" fit first, so got those out of the way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you are a gunsmith, than you should be able to build a stock to fit the shooter. Way different than bastardizing an existing stock. My point was that if you try many different stock models that are out there, you will find a few that fit. I found many early that "didn't" fit first, so got those out of the way.
Not all gunsmiths are stockmakers. And the price difference between lowering a comb 1/8" and making a new stock is $100 vs $500-$2000 (depending on gun and wood grade). Not everyone has that kind of cash. And if you do the work right, you won't be able to tell the gun has been modified.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts