Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sell guns, but I got the bug for a new rifle as we often do. I wanted a working gun for out at the ranch. I was carrying a savage heavy barrel .223 that is a great shooting gun. But it was a bit much to tote.

I sold a savage .17 HMR and a small pocket pistol to raise the $ for the Mossberg Predator in 5.56 and it is just great for the money and my purpose.

Photos and my field notes are at Steve Smith if anyone is interested, but I was wondering if anyone else has one of these in .308? I plan on getting another on in .308 but may go with the savage hog hunter.

Opinions?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello ssmith42:
When i read your post on this rifle and you mentioned 5.56 cal i thought i was going to see another black synthetic stock swat type gun.
But nooo its the prettiest wood laminted rifle ive looked at .
I personly dont have any experience with 5.56 but do .223 and some with the 308 winchester.
The 308 winchester has proven many times to be an accurate shooter in the bench match world .
And the 308 has plenty of smack put em down hog power and can handle larger prey with ease.
I dont see how you could go wrong.
Myself id buy it and im thinking youd be real happy with its performance.
Head Shot

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I think it's a neat concept, but I don't personally have a use for a relatively expensive center-fire 22 that does not typically deliver sub-MOA accuracy. Hard to hit small things at a distance w/o very good accuracy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello:
Yes i agree it would be an expensive 22 option but then again if only one gun as the op stated well then could be done.
Id be thinking in the range of say 75 yards or less for small game and definately not 200 yards .
I never got all wild crazy over the 06 accelerator round and id qeuss others didnt eighter since you dont see them anymore.
Head Shot

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think it's a neat concept, but I don't personally have a use for a relatively expensive center-fire 22 that does not typically deliver sub-MOA accuracy. Hard to hit small things at a distance w/o very good accuracy.
I would not have a use for one like that either, but I bought a 20" MVP for my Wife and it will consistantly shoot 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups with the 55BK or 60V-Max and almost as well with the 60 Horn. soft pt.

I havn't seen an issue with that rifle yet & I am one of those that boohooed the idea of a Mossberg CF period. ;)

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I would not have a use for one like that either, but I bought a 20" MVP for my Wife and it will consistantly shoot 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups with the 55BK or 60V-Max and almost as well with the 60 Horn. soft pt.

I havn't seen an issue with that rifle yet & I am one of those that boohooed the idea of a Mossberg CF period. ;)
Heck, if they are that accurate, I'd be interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts