Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all--new to this forum, but it looks like there are some great resources to tap, here...anyway, my first ever attempt to handload ended in frustration...my 225-gr. Speer hollowpoints in new Starline brass (45 ACP, 9 Gr. Blue Dot) will not fit in the chamber of my gun, which a factory load fits fine...this was the test to perform per the RCBS die directions...are these loads ruined , or can I somehow resize them to fit, etc?  Help!  Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hawkeye
  Need a bit more info here. Did you mike the hand loads and compare them to your factory loads?Were they the same length,diameter etc?Were the handloads bulged? what did your reloads look like?
  tbc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response...

I followed the C.O.L. published in the Speer manual (1.2"), as well as the case length prior to loading (.089)..the cases were bulging after loading--from about the base of the "encased" bullet to the head of the case.  The bullet diameters was .451".  ("mike" the cases??)...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Let me see if I understand you correctly.  The case is bulged from the back of the bullet to the case head (just in front of the extractor groove)?  Will a sized case with no bullet seated chamber in your barrel?  If not, you probably don't have your sizer die adjusted down far enough.
Now if the case is buckling in that area, that would likely be from having the crimp die adjusted down too far.
Feel free to ask more questions if we're confusing you.  We've all been there.
Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hawkeye By "mike" the cases ;I meant for you to use a amicrometer to determine if there were any differenses in measurements. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
 tbc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all...thanks for the input...went home for lunch and put the loads back into the seater die, and lowered it more (than the instructions said to, I might add--they seem to think too much crimp would not allow cartridge to seat properly, and that may be...).  Anyway, I gave them a bit more crimp, and they drop in the chamber fine, now.  But yes, there are very (very) slight "bulges" where the bullet starts (in the case)...at  any rate, they appear that they will load fine...

Now, will they work?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Hawkeye:
    It looks like you didn't crimp enough the first time. They should shoot now.

About the bulge at the base of the bullet.  Is the case smaller in diameter below the bullet , i.e. does it have a wasp waisted look?  If so, that's due to the sizer die overdoing it a bit and is quite common.  Actually, while you're overworking the brass a bit, it keeps the bullet from getting pushed further into the case when it's chambered in a semi-automatic.  That's bad since it's raises pressure and causes jams.

Overcrimping can bulge the case and loosen it's grip on the bullet, as well as causing chambering problems.  Ever see rounds that are crimped, but the bullet is loose enough to turn with your fingers,  .30-30s in particular? Overcrimping can cause that.
    Blue Dot is about as slow a powder that works in a .45, and you want a tight fit so you get a good burn.

Bye
Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts