Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got off work today before dark and went home and grabbed my hand calls.I wanted to see if i could call in a coyote with them still.I set up in an almond orchard by a river.I called for a few minutes then changed calls and called some more then I see a fox running hard towards me.At 50 yards it stops.Then turns and runs out to 100 yards or so stops and looks at me that was my chance I had my gun up at that time and sent a 50 gr vmax to it's mark.
this is my first fox my area is not known to have a lot of foxes but they are here.:D

I have a good tear to sow up i hit her a little high and the vmax explode and tore the pelt,

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Nice !!

Great lookin' pelt. Will make a great hanger for the gunroom/greatroom/den.

When In Maine I killed a bunch of red fox. Didn't actively hunt them but they will respond to any call that you use for yotes or cats. Especially the dieing woodpecker series. Some of my shots would not exit given a COM hit. This from a 24",AR(.223)and a 52gr Sierra HPBT or a 50gr Berger.

Both the reds and the grays are easily killed. I had a friend that I hunted with ,that would use a bolt gun chambered in 22LR stoked with the fastest HP he could find(IIRC,CCI Stingers) That loading would never exit and pelt damage was minimal. Only problem would be his max effective range. In fact he killed bobcats with that same gun/load when hunting the cedar swamps over snow.

Now down in Fla. there are very few red fox and an abundance of grays. I have killed several while calling yotes. Down here no call for pelts so I use whatever weapon I feel like taking for the day. Last one I hit broadside with 21 out of 41,#4buck pellets outta my Benelli M1 Super 90 while calling yotes on the edge of a palmetto swamp. Especially at close range, you might as well dust 'em cuz when they make you, they start that loud squeelie barkin' yippin' and alert all yotes within a half mile or so.

With the price of pelts so darned low(especially the never REALLY primed ones down here)there is an over abundance of critter callin' targets. I have seen several bobcats on the hunting club while cruising around on my ATV. During those times I am only armed with a pistol and the cats do not give you enough time to even sling a shot at them.

BTW.....do you know that gray foxes(unlike reds) will actively climb trees. They will go after a bird or squirrel nest in a heartbeat.

Good Huntin'/Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Inactive account
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CA does not allow hunters to sell pelts .I just wanted a pelt. We have red fox's to but they are protected which I think is stupid because they are not native was brought in during the 1800's for fur farming then got loose.

Our laws here only allow hand calls for raccoon and fox, bear.Night hunting is ok for predators
E calls are ok for crows, bobcat and coyote. They must throw a coin in the air to determine these rules.

I was told they climbed trees.I saw one jump out of a tree in front of me last year ,That was when I realized we had gray fox along the river.My family owns a Dairy farm about 650 acres alfalfa /oats and corn ,200 of that is along a river.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.