Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was on the grizzly website looking at what they could do with 870's and there were a lot of things that i had no clue what it was so i was hoping you could help.
1.. what is dehorning a receiver
2..what is honing a barrel. (they said they did that after they machined it)
3..."Lengthen forcing cone for less shot deformation and improved patterns"
4..."Stake shell stops"

I know its a lot but i just wasnt sure what these things were. thanks a lot for your time

·
R.I.P.
514 Posts
Honing a barrel is simply a high level of polishing the bore. Lengthen the forcing cone is simply changing the angle between the chamber and the barrel bore...reducing the angle will lengthen the distance and makes for less felt recoil to the shooter.
Don't know anything about the other items listed
Robert

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Shotgun Terms

Dehorning a receiver(or anything) is simply rounding the sharper edges. I have a couple of pistols that have had this treatment.

Also the term that I have heard and use is "relieving the forcing cones". It accomplishes the above,...and...will usually shrink the size of your pattern.

I have a Ruger Red Label that had this done along with the bbl being chopped to 21 inches. With hand loaded magnum(hard) shot,it patterns like a "skeet" choke. ---pruhdlr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.