Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people talking about hunting griz or defending themselves against an unwanted confrontation with these big bears.My question is is the meat of the grizzly bear good table fare or are they mainly hunted for their heads and hides?
I make no claims against or for grizzly bear hunting I am just curious..

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,119 Posts
Tastes like bear to me. If you are a bit sensitive to "game" you may not enjoy it. If not tasting like Betty Crocker isn't a deal breaker, you'll likely enjoy it.

Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love black bear is there any comparison?

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
541 Posts
A friend of mine says he will trade 100 lbs of elk meat for 10 lbs of bear. Said bear is the best meat he has ever had. I think he has only had black bear through. I don't think he has ever gotten one of the big bears.

I don't have any actual experience as he would never share any bear meat with me.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
I doubt that's legal.

Taste probably depends to some extent on what the bear has been eating, just a guess.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
Well, so can pigs, and a few other animals. I wouldn't eat it rare........

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,119 Posts
It's just bear.
Black bear, common bear, grizzly bear, it's the same.
Spring bear after a long hibernation is tough and dry. Fall fat bear isn't. Berry eaters don't taste like fish eaters, which don't taste like garbage eaters.
When I was starving in Idaho, I feed myself on 5 different bears; All tasted different.
Griz was similar, but again not the same.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts