Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats wrong here? I've worked up good loads with different projectiles, but with every one of them my groups have two out of five fliers. Shooting from a double rest, benchrest style,I can put three shots touching each other, and the other two will be wherever they feel like going. It's usually #2 and 4 that are fliers. I'm very picky about my rifle and I use the exact same loading procedure for each shot, but the fliers still show up. I wiegh each bullet, screen my powder, align the sabot petals the same on the muzzle,use .125 powder compression(seems best in my rifle), and try to hold breath and squeeze the same for each shot. Sorry to be so long winded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unfortunately, there isn't enough information to diagnose your problem.
Need more info.

Whatcha shootin'. How many rounds through it i.e. how old, caliber, patch, charge, rate of twist, RB or conical, BP, Pyro or what?  Do you sock your powder to remove the excess dust and graphite?  Lots of variables.

J.D.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Two Bellies, try using a conical bullet instead of a sabot. If you really want to use sabots, try some different ones, maybe some pure lead bullets instead of pistol bullets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's more info: .50 cal., 1/32 twist, 5 months old, 580 rounds through it, I've tried 4 different brands of powder , all granulations in each except ffffg, sabots from 5 different manufacturers, conicals fromT/C, Hornady, CVA, Remington, wieghts from 180 grains to 450. I use to shoot benchrest, (centerfire), and I keep meticulous records. This rifle will not shoot anything from Hornady,likes goex 2f best and shoots the T/C cheapshots most consistently and accurately. I've bedded the action free-floated the barrel, lapped the bore and trued the scope rings. Since I only shoot targets, I've wieghted the stock and use a double rest, micro adjustable. I've also tried a number of #11 caps and different 209's. Point is ,I'm able to work up accurate loads with a lot of projectiles, but I'll always have two fliers out of five. With the T/C cheapshots 3 out of five will go into a 1/2"group (average). If I fire 10 shots most will stay in the group, but I will still get @ 4 fliers. I noticed on another board that there were two others whose rifles did the same thing. Hmmm.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Two bellies - Do you have a scope problem, maybe? Just a guess from an amateur. You said you've checked your mounts, but could it be something w/i the scope that's all a jiggle?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Twobellies:

This brings up one of the concerns I have with sabots.  I have to admit I don't and never have used them since I am too traditional.

The twist in your barrel may be somewhat marginal for the length of bullet you are using.  The sabot also may not be gripping the bullet allowing some slippage.  This would result in an effective twist rate slower than the actual rate and which is too slow to stabilize the bullet.  If the fliers show any tendency toward tipping then this is likely the cause.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry about the lateness in trying to answer it, you probably already found an answer...

Is your rifle a TC?...Here are a couple of possiblilities that can occur...Are you cleaning/wiping between every shot?...This can be a problem shooting BP especially with sabots...Have you had a chance to try Swiss Powder...Many of the Benchrest/Chunkgun shooters now are using it, it is much faster and more consistant than anything on the market today...

What is your goal with this rifle?...

Hilljack

·
Registered
16 Posts
two bellies had the same problem with my 54 cal. thunderhawk.was shooting good at 50 yards but when it went to the 100 yard target different ball game.two flyers 10 inch. difference on paper,high ,low thought it was the scope or me. turn out it was the powder. t/c did not like clearshot powder.I did switch to pyrodex select.110 grains of pyrodex select with a qt 45 sabot 350 grain. groupe at 100 yards was 4 shots inside a 3/4" circle. can't get better than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your help. I finally tried some hornady 300 grain bullets. With 2f select, very little compression, and #11 caps, I'm getting all the little holes touching at 100 yds. I'm using a spit patch up and down 3 times between shots. I think it was a combination of too much compression, wrong diameter projectile, and different primer. Since I only shoot paper, I'm getting to where I want to be. Now to shrink those groups....... Thank again

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Now, if you can just do that with either conicals or round balls, and with an non-in-line, you'll be ready for Friendship.  Friendship starts this Saturday so if you get the chance, you ought to check it out sometime.  Well worth the trip.  If you are seriously into BP paper punching, this is the place to see it all, and learn it all if you can stay all week.  Some of the guns those guys shoot, and the groups they shoot, well, let's just say it's truely amazing.  If you have a few minutes, check out the Nation Muzzle Loading Rifle Association's web page at:

NMLRA

Even if you don't compete, it's a real hoot just to hang out there.  What's that, you're more into hawk and knife throwing, well, they got that too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts