Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at the local gunshop to buy my turkey tag and happend to see a rack full of new Winchesters. All kinds of Winchesters. Lots, and lots of Winchesters,
soooo just out of curiosity, I ask if they had any '86 EL's in stock, as I have been thinking about getting one. The owner said he thought he MIGHT have one in the vault, but wasn't sure. He came back into the showroom carrying a Browning M71 in near new condition, complete  with a Williams receiver sight, original buckhorn sight and filler screws. Needless to say, I forgot about the '86 EL.

Now, I don't know what these are going for, but he quoted a price of $850.

Is this a good price? What are these going for?

There are a couple of very slight scuff marks ahead of the toe of the stock. Otherwise this gun looks new. NO box.
Thanks much.
J.D.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
If the condition of it is as new (except for the few scuff marks) especially on the metal, 850 would be a good price here in Alaska.  I'm not sure what they go for anywhere else, but it sounds pretty good to me.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Sounds like a decent price to me - not that I ever have that much $ at one time!      ID

·
Registered
123 Posts
J.D.,

It is extremely difficult just to find the grade I rifles for sale, regardless of condition.  In the past year I have seen 3 for sale on the internet.  I purchased one for seven bills and the man said he had 38 calls for it.  The second went in 24 hours for $750.  The last went at about $900 quickly, before I could make up my mind.  You can find grade II for about $1,100, but they are fancy and being sold by collectors.  I would think the man know what he has and is asking what it is worth towards the high side.  YMMV.

Hope this helps.

dclark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

I stopped in at the gunshop this morning, just out of curiosity, and there was the the 71... With a price tag of $799.95. The proprietor decided to price the gun more reasonable for faster sale.

Anyone have any pet .348 loads? ;-)

Anyone know where I might find a .348 150 or 180 gr mould?

Thanks again.
J.D.

·
Registered
123 Posts
J.D.,

I make the same offer to Muleskinner, that there is a good article on the Browning .348 in December's Handloader by Steve Gish.  It uses three bullet weights; 200, 220 and 250.  I tried his favorite 200gr load (65 gr RL19) and it works well in my Browning.  No pressure signs, but have not been able to put it on paper because of snow and wind.  I will try others later.  If you do not have access to the article, I can send a copy if you send an address.

I also have articles by Dave Scovill and Ken Waters, each of which use different combinations.  The Waters article uses a Winchester, while the Scovill one uses a Browning carbine.  The Gish article is the most recent and the most complete.

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Browning 71 carbine just arrived.  Very good wood to metal fit.  Feels like a rifle should.  I think these would sell today if Winchester would make 'em again.  Who needs a crappy guide gun?  Can't shoot it until my dies arrive.  May have to get a new lined scabbard for this puppy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Muleskinner,

Glad to hear the "new" carbine lives up to expectations.  I'll be interested to hear how it shoots with that short barrel.

By the way, I have two other .348 articles that I am going to sent to another fellow, so if you want them I will stick a copy in the snail mail to you, also.  I'll do it without a reply.

dclark

·
Registered
123 Posts
J.D. & Muleskinner,

I thought I would pass along some information I have uncovered in my search for .348 bullets, etc.  There appear to be three "conventional" weights of bullets; 200, 220 and 250.  I understand from the Scovill article that Hawk, under the previous owner, did make up some 165 and 180 gr. bullets, but I would thing they would be counter-productive.  In my opinion, velocity is not what I am seeking with a .348; I am looking for penetration and shocking power.  I tend towards the 220 and 250 weights.  

It appears that Beartooth has a cast bullet, but the forward driving band is too large for the short throat of the Browning.  Apparently NEI also produces mould for a .348 bullet of 250 gr or so.  I have not found a mention from Saeco, Lyman, RCBS or Lee.  I am unwilling to change the throat at this point in time to accomodate a particular bullet without trying all of those that fit.  So, I will probably stick to jackets bullets at this time.

I have checked with Buffalo Arms in Idaho and they carry Hornady 200 gr. and Barnes 250 gr.  They also carry RCBS and Redding dies, and W-W cases in stock.  They seem to be good people to deal with and I plan to place an order with them shortly.

Hope this provides some assistance.

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Hey guys,
I don't know if you are interested, but here's a listing of what Hawk is offering in the .348.

.348 Winchester (.348)

Flat Points
165 grains x .030 FP..........$28.50
180 grains x .030 FP..........$29.00
200 grains x .035 FP..........$30.00
250 grains x .035 FP..........$30.50
270 grains x .035 FP..........$32.00

Spitzers
230 grains x .030 SPZ........$30.50
250 grains x .035 SPZ........$31.50
270 grains x .035 SPZ........$32.50

http://www.hawkbullets.com/P-LIST.htm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that information.

I have looked at Hawk's site and might try a box of the 180's.

I found that Lyman has, in the recent past,  has made two moulds for the  348, though I haven't checked to see if they are still available.

Lyman mold #     350447  185     FP GC   348 Win.
                              350457  250     FP GC   348 Win.  

The 185 gr bullet might be the ticket for light pleasure shooting loads, with hotter  jacket bullets loads appropriate for hunting large game.

The 185 gr cast bullet would probably do a number on deer too.

Just thinking out loud. ;-)

J.D.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I took the 71 to the range yesterday.  Tried some variations of 4350 with the 200 gr Hornady.  Not satisfactory.  Came home and immediately filed the bead off the front sight.  May wait for the Lyman to arrive before trying any more.  Kind of getting a wild hair.  I was wondering if anyone had tried IMR4831?  It seems to be a choice between R19 and 4350, but I can't find any load data.  May try 59 grains just for the hay of it.  The Hornady manual recommends 4350 and 4320, but I haven't seen anyone get acceptable accuracy with these.  Most of the best loads seem to be with slower powders.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a set of Lee dies yesterday, and have 100 rounds of new brass ordered, so I haven't fired my new toy, but I have been digging through some of my old books and found these loads that MIGHT perform better in your gun.

The Lyman 44th edition lists 53gr of 4895 as an accuracy load @ 2450 fps, with 53.3 gr @ 2469fps as factory duplication load, and 54 gr max load @ 2506fps.

The Hornaday handbook lists 42.6 gr of 3031at 2200 fps, and 49.2 gr at 2500fps max.

The third edition of Cartridges of the World, waaaaayyy back in the back of the book shows 44 gr reloader 7 at 2400fps.

All of these loads are for 200 gr jacketed bullets.

I haven't tried any of these loads 'cause I don't have any brass, but you can bet I will try them ASAP when that brass comes in. :-0
J.D.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How much brass and bullets do you guys stock pile for the 348.  I'm thinkin' I'll be safe with 500 cases, and 1000 bullets minimum.  I plan to keep buyin' bullets whenever I get a chance after layin' in a bunch.  I hear the tappered design of the case makes it not last too long.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking the same thing, however 348 brass should  be readily available for a long time to come because of all the wildcats made from the 348 case.

I plan to lay in a couple of hundred rounds of brass and pick up bullets when I find them. I'm also researching bullet moulds. Not  many around, and none that I'm interested in.

I haven't looked at the custom mould makers as yet, but the production moulds I've seen don't thrill me.

J.D.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok fellers,
Using the 200 Hornady, I've loaded 10 rds of each flavor:

60 gr IMR 4350 (tried, moderately inaccurate)
58 gr IMR 4350
59 gr IMR 4831
64 gr H 4831
47 gr IMR 3031
58 gr WW 760
64 gr R 19

I plan on shooting 2 - 5 shot groups of each at 50 yards.  My shoulder may fall off, but I should get some good info.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Sounds great, Muleskinner! I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I've had a couple of rifles over the years that were very picky about what powder they would shoot well. One, a 7 Mag that refused to shoot well with anything but IMR7828 and the other a .308 that prefers Reloder 15. Hopefully you'll find one that your gun likes.             IDShooter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info on the moulds, but I have seen those. I would like to try a 165-180gr mould for light loads and for deer hunting.

I can buy 200gr 348 jacketed bullets at a nearby gunshop. All I want, but I would like a lighter weight cast bullet for pleasure shooting.

I might add that Rapine makes 215, 225, 235, and 250gr 348 moulds, so there are plenty of moulds available, just not what I'm looking for.

http://www.customreloads.com/rapine.html

The old Lyman 185 gr mould is no longer available.
Thanks again.
J.D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts