Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a GG yesterday at the Colorado Springs  show and am now searching for loading components.  Cast bullets seem like the way to go with this rifle and started wondering what to expect when I slug the bore.  Can anyone who's tried this post their results?

BTW, I haven't been following current events concerning this model and learned yesterday that it is no longer being made with ports?

Happy Trails...
Bart

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Bart,

Most of the Marlin 1895G models in .45-70 that we have dealt with have groove dimensions from .4580" to .4586".  However, even though the chamber throats on these rifles are short, they are large in diameter, and most generally, if you are shooting cast pills, a bullet of .460" diameter will best serve your purposes, and deliver the absolute best accuracy, hands down.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.  I felt obligated to go ahead and slug mine.  The result was a consistent .457 at the tightest point, which was within the first few inches of the muzzle.  Beyond that it only needed a light push to move it about half way down the barrel, after which it fell on through.  I suspose to be thorough I should do this from the breech end too.  I think this means that jacketed bullets should shoot ok, but can't tell the right diameter for cast without checking from the breech.  Without knowing  that dimension I'll likely have a leading problem.

Thanks again.

Happy Trails...
Bart

·
Registered
14 Posts
You pushed the slug all the way through--now you know the smallest dimension of you bore.

Now try pushing one a quarter of the way, half way and three quarters of the way to get a better idea of the variance.  Try it from both the muzzle and breach end.  You can use a marker on your dowl to guage the distance you've pushed the slug down the barrel.

I'm not sure any of it makes much difference, but it is great way to get intimate with your bore dimensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a .45-70 Guide Gun and did have some leading problems.

I had a friend send me some cast bullets sized to .458 and even at low velocities like 1500 fps I had problems with leading.  

I cast some bullets and sized them for .460 and I have no problems at all.  I'm now pretty close to 2000fps and still no leading problems.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bore on mine, just ahead of the chamber, slugged at .458 - .4585.  I think bullets sized .459 - .460 should be about right.  Plan to run some jacketed through it first and will figure out which cast bullet to go with in time.  Shot some jacketed in it today and I was pleased.  Was shooting my 375 Win loaded with 300 gr cast and 28.0 gr Re7 along side of the Guide Gun.  I'd say recoil was appoximately equal.  The 45-70 loads were Federal w/Sierra 300gr HP FN.  The box says they're rated at 18xx fps...probably from a 24 inch barrel.  Can't wait for my dies to show up so I can start working on improved thump!

Happy Trails...

Bart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts