Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, just bought a new" Used" Guiide Gun, want to set it up with a scout scope arrangement. It already has peep sights "Williams" and the xs levermount, so all that i need is some new glass. I need some suggestions, i am thinking of the Leupold 2.5 ier ss, Burris 2.75 ier ss, or maybe the Weaver 4 power ier ss. How about pistol scopes anybody use them on the guide gun???? Any comments or suggestions is appreciated, Thanks...

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
For the record, I own no scout scope, scoped rifles. I have, however, considered them a good bit. The Leupold scope you mentioned does not have any way to correct for your vision. It's Ocular bell does NOT correct. Most owners say it's not a problem, some say it is. The Burris scout scope does correct. Some say that makes it better, MUCH better.

Just the facts(?) as i know them.....;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,731 Posts
Not bad advice to inspect the scopes personally. Everybody's eyesight is slightly different, and what works for you might not work for someone else.

I won't buy a pair of binoculars without spending a little time in the store looking through them.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have a Leupold 2.5 Ultralight on my 444's......for hunting purposes at short to medium range its a great little scope.....cost about 250.00 and good customer service, though I doubt that you will ever need it. This scope came highly recommended by African hunters who use them on their big game rifles, and if they will stand up to that type of abuse, they should be good for anything else. There are more expensive scopes out there, but the little Leupold seems to have a good following of satisfied users. If you are going to be working up loads, I would suggest a higher power scope for that purpose....then change over to the 2.5 for field use.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Same Here

I also just purchaed a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight for my 500S&W Mag Handi-Rifle.

I wanted something short,light(inertia?), and with the proper amount of eye relief. Also with a heavy duplex. After researching all the scope info,this was my choice. SO FAR....it has withstood the pounding of 50+rds of some pretty stout loads.

My Handi has also beem modified to have a 18" bbl and a 13.25" LPO, so it is an extremely light and compact weapon. ---pruhdlr

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a millett zoom dot, which is just a red dot, but of aimpoint quality - 300' waterproof, shock proof to .500 S&W, etc.. it's a tough sight, but expensive. I can dial down the dot size to 1 moa which i'd say is good for shooting out to 150 yard, maybe 200 yards if you practice enough and have a good steady rest. Or you can dial it up to the biggest dot size which is 10 moa, which is good for 50 yards or less. Battery life is like 1,000-10,000 hours, and i got a GG&G aimpoint ring of standard height which has a spare battery compartment on the side of it. I was also looking at an aimpoint compc3 or compm3 in 2moa.

I would look into something in the 1-4x power if I were you. NIkon Monarch African is a good one, Leupold make some good ones. I would definately wants something that can be adjusted down to 1x in case you need to make a snap shot in a dangerous game scenario or at less than 100 yards. They make scopes nowadays that have an illuminated crosshair. Scout scopes are good too but field of view tends to be small, though i've never tried one so i don't know.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts