Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen I have a problem. My Marlin Guide Gun (45-70) is not reloading :confused:. When I cycle the action the elevator doesn't move the next cartridge up. The ammo are personal handloads that follow the loading manuals overall cartridge length. I haven't disassembled the GG yet to check for myself to see whats up. Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Do the rounds leave the magazine and load onto the elevator or do they stay in the magazine and are not being released?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the rounds leave the magazine and load onto the elevator or do they stay in the magazine and are not being released?
The rounds stay in the mag tube. It seems like the elevator wont lower all the way every time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it feed factory rounds? What bullet are you using?
Ill have to scrounge up some factory loads. Got some somewhere. The bullet is the Hornady 300gr .458 hollow point . The cases are Remington.

The story is that I went hunting yesterday and when I was unloading the gun for the trip home I noticed a problem. When I would cycle the action the round in the chamber would eject (like normal), I would then rack the lever to chamber the next round and nothing would happen. The new cartridge would not go onto the elevator and it appears that the elevator doesn't go all the way down to accept the next round :confused:. Sometimes I can smack the side of the action and it will work. Gun to tight maybe?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

After trying to load the guide gun with factory loads to see if the rounds would chamber, I discovered that they would not. Just like the loads I personally made. The good news is that I think we have found the problem; the magazine follower is pushing against the elevator! I'm currently trying to remove the mag tube, which is harder than it should be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would think the follower hitting the elevator would be a symptom, not the problem. The follower only comes into play with an empty magazine. You did say the rounds were not clearing the mag tube. I'm not sure of the name but there should be a part (cartridge stop?) that stops the round in the tube until the elevator is lowered. That is where I'd look.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm being a smart donkey!

If I had known the Guide Guns would reload I would have bought one sooner. There's some days I just don't feel like doing it.

Jim

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

It's sounds like there may be an issue with the loading gate interfering with the lifter - either it's attachment screw (just to the rear of the loading gate opening in the RH receiver wall) is loose, or (more common than you might think) the loading gate (which is it's own spring) has lost it's tension & needs be replaced. BT, DT - NTS.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yesterday I completely disassembled the rifle and ground down the follower to a point it no longer interferes with the elevator (cheap part to replace if I goobered it up). After 45 minutes of that I lubed the gun and reassembled it. Even after the work on the follower the problem persists. I've checked all screws, (even the loading gate) and nothing is fixing it. This gun is starting to give me a headache.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it's happening on the last round (like my 1895 Cowboy), than it could be a burr around the magazine bulge (lets the bullets go in on an angle) and that orange follower is hanging up on it. May have to get in there with a sandpaper & stick and smooth the heck out of it. Pull the mag and you'll see the bulge in the tube.

·
Registered
38 Posts

It's sounds like there may be an issue with the loading gate interfering with the lifter - either it's attachment screw (just to the rear of the loading gate opening in the RH receiver wall) is loose, or (more common than you might think) the loading gate (which is it's own spring) has lost it's tension & needs be replaced. BT, DT - NTS.

Ditto .... I had this problem on a Marlin and it was the loading gate interfering. Tighten up the screw for the loading port with a drop of blue Loc-tite and problem solved.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Walt,

You're lucky. My ****ed Guide Gun functions flawlessly, which means I gotta pick myself up outta dirt some 10 yards behind that thing and stagger back to it. I coulda swore that that thing's lever had formed a smile as I plopped onto the seat next to it.

Just kidding, or course. I hope you get that figured out. I reload for mine. I've never had a single problem with mine except that it does fire when my memory gets faulty and I forget how much the back end of that thing hurts after I pull the trigger. My guess will be found in cartridge length, especially if factory stuff cycles.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill try to keep you guys updated on it. Money is going other places right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts