Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am a newbie to this site but not to guns. I have started dabbling in the gunsmith area of weapons, mostly bolt on type stuff, but never too scared to try something new.

I am looking at a Remington 700 ADL in .222 that a buddy of mine has had for a long time. He pulled it out of the gun cabinet after sitting in there for +25 years and the blueing on the barrel and the receiver is gone. not from wear and tear, but just gone. I have attached some links to the pictures to hopefully show what it looks like.

when I rub my finger across the transition, dont even notice the difference. no pitting has taken place in these areas but there is some surface rust that with a little elbow grease I think will come right off.

so my question is has anyone seen this before? In talking with some of my more experience gun buddies they mentioned sometimes the steel isnt processed right and there is a concentration of nickel that does not accept the blueing as well.

I am not worried about making this a show piece, but I am thinking this may be a good excercise in blueing process for me.

http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/73/73/6/91/13/2576691130065764560kRQhdJ_th.jpg

http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/69/769/5/44/48/2918544480065764560uMuzJX_th.jpg

http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/96/196/6/60/1/2467660010065764560kZChnx_th.jpg

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The paictures are small on my laptop and I can't enlarge them, but that looks like a chemical at work -- something like Naval Jelly, or some other rust remover. As bluing is just a chemical rust, I have seen exactly this result when the metal was exposed to something like that. Could there have been a misguided attempt at rust removal?

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you're not going to make it a beauty queen, which I'm sure you're not, go with the tactical look. For $100 there are companies that can put different camo pattern coatings on that look downright cool. If your are a do-it-yourselfer as you sound, you can try stuff on your own. I had a brother in law that painted his stock with a textured paint that had specs in it and this made the stock look like those hi dollar composites. The barrel he painted flat black.:cool: Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the post.

Pisgah, dont really know too much of the history. The buddy that is looking to get rid of it, his father owned it and passed away a couple of years ago, so we dont know much about it. He remembers shooting it as a early teenager and we are both now in our 40's so it probably sat in the cabinet for the remainder of that time. I am leaning towards some chemical got on it somehow.

Osprey, I like that idea of doing a camo pattern. My plan for this gun is to use on coyotes so camo would work for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Carefully applied, enamel paint in spray cans can make a great metal or stock finish. I've done a couple of rifles in flat black with textured green stocks, and a couple in all-camo. You need to completely degrease the metal and apply the paint sparingly, evenly, in multiple coats. It can be darned good-looking and very durable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts