Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes we see firearms that have been 'enhanced' by a previous owner to reflect his own taste or lack thereof. I can't remember the gun writer who said it, but I remember his words vividly. He said "I hope there is a special place in **** for gun butchers, right near the furnace where the temperatures are high and constant". The worst one I saw was an old Sako Finnwolf that had a wolf crudely carved into the butt-stock. To elevate the crime to felony status there were two red rhinestones for the eyes. Anyone out here seen other sins?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I know of one story from a reliable source concerning a Merkel Extra Lusso 12 gauge that a guy "fixed" for another guy. He took it apart and didn't keep track of the screws. He actually ground them to fit, and had pounded some into the holes they didn't belong in with a ball peen hammer.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
I know of one story from a reliable source concerning a Merkel Extra Lusso 12 gauge that a guy "fixed" for another guy. He took it apart and didn't keep track of the screws. He actually ground them to fit, and had pounded some into the holes they didn't belong in with a ball peen hammer.
That is way past butcher, it's criminal!

I usually check the used gun racks hoping for something I can't live without. I can't tell anyone what I'm looking for but feel sure I'll know when I find "IT". Getting back to the point I've seen some real hack jobs. Usually old surplus military rifles caught the brunt of backyard gunsmith's talents.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
My thoughts exactly when individuals talk about using lock tite mounting scopes and bases. Until you've had to remove other peoples "mistakes" do you begin to realize its not needed. We've gotten along for decades without it but now everyone thinks is absolutely necessary especially "lazy" gunsmiths.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Blue or green lock-tite won't hurt a thing. It is hardly injurious to the gun.....

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Blue or green lock-tite won't hurt a thing. It is hardly injurious to the gun.....

Can make things difficult if the screw head has been deformed to the point that you can't find one that will fit though.

I'm purdy comfortable with using blue "after" I've tried a product "without" it.

I sure hate working a firearm with a flame and a hammer.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Am studying on dismantling a Savage 110 for a rebarrel. With the change will be a new barrel, recoil lug, and new stock. Would this be considered a need to send me to the bad place? After all, this enhancement is going to reflect my own tastes!

I somehow know what you're saying... but can still see why folk do with them what they want.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
The problem lies in using "blue" or "green" lock tite. Lock Tites patents ran out years ago and every ones producing there own versions using whatever color scheme suits them. I've had "green" lock tite that was actually 640 "Stud and Bearing Mount" Lock Tite the highest strength one available for general use. You raise **** trying to get that loose without taking temper from receivers/barrels. If your very lucky the fastner comes out without twisting off--more than likely you won't be lucky that day. I've been there and done that for nearly fifty years without using lock tite on scope mounts and bases but I've cleaned others messes up for the last twenty years.

When you take your prize possession into the gunshop for scope mounting do you take the time to look at the proprietors shop tools? Are the tools something out of the junk pile or even worse the local discount store? Are screwdriver blades sharpe and square or rounded? Are allen wrench flats edges rounded or well defined? He's supposed to be the professional and you can tell by his tools if he's one by answering some of the questions I've asked. I've seen them run the complete course from terribly bad to well kept. The bad ones always want to use lock tite while the good ones usually won't unless you ask or insist.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
When I was on-the-hunt for an 8mm-06, I asked the gunsmith to find a pre-'64 mod 70 to build upon. He got a 30-06 out of Canada somewhere, and the stock had been 'customized', with an eagle (or ??) carved in the fore-end tip, a gaudy grip cap, and black polymer diamonds inlaid on all three sides of the fore-end, and, white diamonds inlaid on both sides of the butt stock.

Ughhh! Well, it was a decent price (and the inlays were actually done well), but not what I wanted to stalk the woods with. The saving grace was that the metal was flawless, and I couldn't bring myself to alter that. So, I located a pre-'64 30-06 with rusted out barrel that became the project. The other still sits in the gun rack, same as it arrived.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Don't outsource that kind of work. My screwdrivers fit, and I use Loc-tite brand products :) Never a bit of trouble.

I realize in retrospect, should have given the specific numbers: Loc-tite 242 in blue, and Loc-tite 290 in green (wicking grade).

·
Banned
31 Posts
I saw a guy about 8 ir 9 years ago that bought an old Weatheby, and I mean old!! The blueing was honestly in the high 90 percentile! It had one little scratch on the side of the barrel about 1/2" long, but barely noticable unless in the right light. It had a mauser action, and had a beautiful, beautiful stock. The forend and pistol grip cap were made from real elephant ivory and were a yellow color. It had a german variable scope on it from the 60's, and I think the gun was made in the late 40's. Anyway, I looked at this rifle and wondered why "I" couldn't have found it!! I saw the same guy about 6 months later and he told me he had refinished the gun.......himself!!!!! I asked if I could see it and he brought it by my house!! OH MY WORD!!!! He had done a cold blue on the metal, and had sanded the wood and finished it with lindseed oil!!! He had replaced the stock tip and pistol grip cap with black ebony wood. I asked what he had done with the original pieces, and he had thrown them in the trash, along with the scope because the caps were missing!!! This guy should be strapped to the furnace and fed habenaro peppers for eternity!!

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
I Love My Dremmel Tool

I usually "butcher" up all my gunz. I have cut the bbl of a $60 NEF 12ga with a hack saw then "finished" it with a plumbers pipe facing tool. PERFECT !!

I have undercut the rear of the trigger guard of my Glock 20 with sandpaper wrapped around a ol' rusty 7/16 deep socket. In fact I did this right after taking it outta the box. I "modify" all the triggers of my weapons. I cut the stocks and shape the forearms of my long guns. I float the bbls of my so-so shooters to make them mo-bedda.

I "tinker with" all my mags(both pistol and rifle) to make them feed better. I cut revo springs to make a lighter trigger pull. Light strikes....BS...all you gotta do is seat the "right" primer "right".

I continuously "tinker". I love to tinker with my weapons. A just acquired weapon gets stripped to "parade rest","tinkered with",then reassembled. Those of you that have never "tinkered" with your weapons,don't know what your missing. What are you scared of ?? You must lead a very dull life it you have honestly never had to call a weapons manufacturer and ask them how to put your weapon back together.

Take 'em apart,put 'em back together,if you got an "extra" spring or screw,hang on to it till you test fire the weapon. If it shoots ok....throw it in the "extra's" box in your garage. Soooo ???

They are my guns that I have bought with my hard earned money. I have the right to butcher them if I see fit. When i sell one if I get only half as much as it would be normally worth,well,.....so what.

Let the buyer beware. Most people never take a look at the inside of a "for sale" weapon anyway. If it is missing a few "non-essential" parts....so what. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I've known some shooters who are offended when someone criticizes their intent to "customize" an expensive gun. Their reaction has generally been along the lines of "If you don't want me to modify it you can buy it from me and preserve it. Otherwise it is none of your business what I do with it"

·
Inactive account
585 Posts
Apparently you and I both appreciate the beauty and quality of a German Weatherby. Years back a man I knew did something to upset his wife. She took a nail file to his to express her anger. So two less of these in the world, eh.
If I had a wife that did that to one of my guns you can bet she wouldnt be my wife anymore. That is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have had a lot of experience with Loc-tite and its clones, way before I started using it on guns. A bit of heat with a heat gun, not a blow torch, always made the fastener come out fairly easy. It helps if you approach it from the first like if it had Loc-tite and not after you've screwed up the screw heads. I think Loc-tite sure is better than the old "...tighten it like h*ll, then beat it with a hammer, and then tighten some more..." where it was claimed hitting it would "...deform the threads just enough to keep it from loosening." Loc-tite just plain works. Like anything else, you have to know when and how to use it properly. When I used to fix things for people I never denigrated the fellows that screwed things up and gave me work. I'm sure they were good at something, like making money to pay me.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I usually hit the shops and look for something that "BUBBA" had his hands on, and bargin the price way down and do what I want to to make it something that looks nce and will shoot well. even sold a number of them at various gun shows and made a profit. Some times it's something I wanted, and could not see paying for a new one, when all most of them need is just cleaning up, re-crowning the barrels and re-finishing the stock. Picked up a 94 Sweed that bubba had even cut a hole straight through the stock, and set a shoe polish can into it with epoxy so he could carry a cleaning snake in it. (cost me a whole $45.00.) Just patched the wood, and had to counter bore the barrel 2" to get to good rifling. Forged the bolt handle, installed a williams rear aprature sight, bedded and re-shaped and re-finished the stock using amal acetate. (Original wood looks like pecan.) It will keep three rounds inside an inch at 100 yards, so decided not to sell it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i heard about some gun butchers that went to ****, and they got in trouble with the devil for messing up the furnance, by trying to work on it. devil was trying to get them transferred last i heard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.