Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two gun cabinets with the usual felt lining where the barrel rests and the butt stock rests.

Over the past couple years I've been collecting some older unfired rifles (safe queens so to speak) and have noticed the same wear areas on all the rifles which would coincide with gun safe/cabinet material wear (bluing thinning).

Is there a material I can reline my cabinets with that is more bluing safe?

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not too sure I haven't had that problem personally, but I have heard of people lining safes with plush carpet, old tube socks wrapped around foam rubber, basically anything that is soft. I maybe wrong but unless the guns are rubbing they shouldn't be getting any wear. Then again you could always try gun socks. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I don't have a cabinet. My gun room used to be a spare bedroom, so I use the closet as my gun storage cabinet. I use a firring strip with wooden dowls placed in it to stand my guns upright. I didn't line the wood with anything and over 20 years I have had no rust issues.

I think mfg puts the felt is there for looks and not function.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
theres some kinda gel you can use on them.don t know much about the product..when i owned long guns they got used pretty regular..
i think mike or somebody posted about it a while ago.. slim
ps. im not a collector though....guns are just tools for me.. function ,is all i care about..

·
Registered
573 Posts
only a couple of possibilites could be changing the look of the gun finish: moisture, friction, chemical reaction. eliminate all three and solve this problem. does your gun cabinet rock at all or is it rock solid? is the area subject to any vibration? Do the safe queens in question get a lot of handling? Is it possible that the felt has absorbed any moisture from the environment? could the felt itself be reacting to the finish? do you use anything to dehumidify the safe?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The felt may absorb the oil off the barrel, leaving it susceptible to air or moisture. Re-oil the barrels with an oily rag several times a year. And, apply some oil directly to the felt in the safe so it won't absorb off the barrels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts