Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local young shooter called me up today to say his birthday gun had red rust on it, what happened? I had him drop by and I took a lot at the mess...you are right..a solid vinyl foam lined K-Mart cheapie and Hoppe's No 9! So.....I thought I'd fill in everybody with a test Winchester-Western did years ago. At that time we had 50 men in the field with 10 or more samples. These samples were for shooting and display at the shows. Many included 101 trap and skeet guns, plus high grade bolt guns. Each year there was well over 100 sample guns back to the factory as junk because of sorry gun cases being carried the the salesmen car trunks. WW decided to test what was the best oils and type of cases. After a year..it became clear that canvas woven cases (blanket lined), that could let air in and out, that did not form condensation with temp changes....plus Breakfree CLP had shown to be best. The return rate on sample guns hit a dead low. In the metal cases with foam lining there can be a reaction to some solvents like Hoppe's and Shooter Choice that you need to watch.
Best Regards, James  

·
Registered
40 Posts
On gun cases, What I have been using for years are the sack-ups that are treated.  I never have had a problem with them yet.  What I like about them the best is, when I store them in a gun safe if they get bump the sack-ups prevent the guns from being sratched.  Plus for hunting I just fold them in my pocket and carry them with me.  Better than a clumsy plastic case laying around in the vehicle.  Which takes up enough room by itself.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Sack-ups work great like the previous writer stated but if a hard case is needed plano makes one called air glide and it is great. It secures the gun and doesn't touch the gun anywhere except on the stock and the end of the barrel. Thus preventing moisture from being trapped between some type of padding and your rifle. But if you have to fly better go with hard alluminum because the people loading your checked items don't care that you have gun (regardless of value) in that case.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Since I don't have a gun safe I have to keep my guns in the closet. In this tinsy house there is no room to build a proper rack, so I've had to keep them in the gun cases. Yes I said gun cases.

Those hard plastic, foam lined things you get from guns stores. Kolpin, Gun Guard, MTM and Doskocil are the brands I have.
I've had to store them like this for about 5 years now. Since I"ve moved to IL.

These are the same gun cases that they go to the ranges in. Even in the fridged winter when the condensation can be horrible.

So far I have no rust because of this. Why?

Well, here's what I do.
*All but the two mil-surps are kept in a heavy cotton or wool "gun tube" made by my wife from a U-Haul pad, (found it on the side of the road, didn't steal it), inside the gun cases.
*All of the guns are wiped down with Industrial PCL before being put away. This is made by Breakfree and is a semi synthetic mil spec lube and protecterant. It's very hard to find. I had to order my last bottle directly from Breakfree.
*When coming back in from the range when it's very cold outside, the guns are cleaned and lubed, and the cases are pulled apart and dried before the guns go back in them.
Pretty much the same proceedure in the hot humid parts of the summer.

So far, so good.

I'd much rather have a gun safe with a de-humidifier to store them in, but I can't afford it.

As for the canvas gun cases I don't have a one of them. All the ones I had in AZ either fell apart or were torn up inside by the sights on the rifles. So I went to the hard plastic cases.

These hard plastic cases have taken my guns across country twice with no damage, another reason I use them. Since I refuse to fly, I haven't needed the extra protection of the metal cases. Although I've been tempted on occasion.

Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
jdetroit
Location: forsyth ga. Sack-ups work great like the previous writer stated but if a hard case is needed plano makes one called air glide and it is great. It secures the gun and doesn't touch the gun anywhere except on the stock and the end of the barrel. Thus preventing moisture from being trapped between some type of padding and your rifle. But if you have to fly better go with hard alluminum because the people loading your checked items don't care that you have gun (regardless of value) in that case.
Ditto on the Air Glide. I love the two I have and am currently looking for a deal on a couple more.
For transport as well as storage. I like the fact that the case holds a rifle without any contact with a scope or for that matter any metal at all. ( I removed the foam at the end of the barrel as the support under the stock is all thats needed).

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Since I can't afford a gunsafe,I rack all of my guns in the reloading room when i am home (with a few exceptions) After i noticed some rust on the inside of my resizing dies earlier this year, i bought a dehumidifier and put in the room and thats when I decided on building a gun rack. I bought some cheap pine shelving board and made my rack in about 2 hrs. took the cutting torch and gave it a classy burnt pine finish. I think i maybe spent 30 buck on the whole project, If you want the details on construction, PM me.

P.S. The design that i used would even fit in the back of a closet or other small space

1 - 6 of 6 Posts