Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is the latest popular media, anti-gun claptrap. This nonsense appears in the October issue of American Heritage . If you're a long-time reader or subscriber like I used to be, you may want to contact the editors as I plan.

Overrated and Underrated
Amendment to the Constitution

by Harold Evans

Overrated
“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Never has a subordinate clause caused such trouble. The 13 opening words, qualifying the right, might as well be written in invisible ink, they are so frequently forgotten. The National Rifle Association and the gun lobby generally insist that the rights are individual, not collective for the purpose of protecting the community, and they seem now to have the support of the Attorney General in objecting to restrictions on the ownership of guns of any kind. Historically I see the Second Amendment as weasel words, a compromise between the Federalists, who insisted on a standing army, and the anti-Federalists, who feared it would be used to suppress States’ Rights. In the end a small standing army was agreed to, with the proviso that “a well regulated Militia” could be organized at the local level for local protection and to supplement the national army in a time of threat. The amendment limited only federal power; it left states free to regulate the use and possession of arms. And even as applied to the federal government, the prohibition has been watered down by the courts with more weasely words. The arms that the people have a right to keep and bear are only those that the militia of the day might keep and bear, not sawed-off shot-guns, machine guns, and other means of mayhem our day may contrive.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I need to tell this Weasel something!!

Bill Lester
Got an e-mail address to this weasel?:mad: I need to let him know how I feel about his treasonist article!!!

"the right of the people "

Obviously he didn't read this! Is this printed in Greek? Where in the H did he get the states had the right to regulate?

·
Registered
254 Posts
In what context was this printed in American Heritage magazine?
If it was a letter to the editor, then take the individual to task but don't blame the magazine.
If it was an editorial in the magazine, take the magazine to task.
Either way, write the magazine of your displeasure.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harold Evans, former editor of the less-than-gun-friendly U.S. News & World Report, is most assuredly writing this with the approval of American Heritage's editorial board. His comments are part of the annual "Overrated & Underrated" issue. Usually the topics are of minimal significance, e.g. "Most Over/Underrated Fashion Fad" or "Most Over/Underrated Rock Singer." But this is clearly something else aimed squarely at Middle American Soccer Moms and limp-wristed girly men who, sadly, are the ones who usually decide elections these days.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention in the original post that Mr. Evans feels the need to take yet another stab at the 2nd Amendment. In his "Most Underrated" treatise on the 14th Amendment, he includes the following inflammatory prefix...

If the Second Amendment is distinguished by 13 prefatory words that incite instant amnesia...

You all know what you need to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts