Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know, whenever you purchase a firearm be it a Rifle, Shotgun, or Handgun; the buyer must fill out the necessary form 4473 plus the FFL holder must make a phone call to wherever to do a background check. I was thinking why couldn’t a buyer, that finds a firearm he/she wants, but the dealer is located in another state. Well as it currently is the firearm MUST be sent to an FFL holder where the buyer lives, then they fill out the 4473 form and the FFL holder makes the background call. What would everyone think about doing this instead. Example: You find or want to purchase a firearm from another Business. What you do is first contact the Business and make your request to buy the firearm and send payment. The Business then Fax or sends you the Form 4473 which you fill out and mail back to the Business. The Business then makes the call to have the back ground check. If everything is okay and in order, the firearm is then sent directly to you by UPS in which you must sign to receive your order. I think this would be much less complicated than what we have now by NOT having to go through two FFL holder, but rather just one, where you are making a purchase, pay shipping charges and NO transfer fees. Everything else would be the same as now if you purchase from a local dealer. I think this would be a good Idea but wonder what all of you think of it. <Thanks>:)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Naturally, I think it is a a good idea, but the process you suggest above does not have any provisions for the FFL holder to confirm your identity, by asking you to produce evidence of such. I think it would make it even easier for convicted felons to obtain firearms and only marginally easier for law-abiding citizens to do so. In a perfect world, there would be no such thing as an FFL. :(

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naturally, I think it is a a good idea, but the process you suggest above does not have any provisions for the FFL holder to confirm your identity, by asking you to produce evidence of such. I think it would make it even easier for convicted felons to obtain firearms and only marginally easier for law-abiding citizens to do so. In a perfect world, there would be no such thing as an FFL. :(
Thanks, & I see your point, broom_jm, but right now one can go to a newspaper ad and buy a firearm from a seller without filling out forms or any background checks. Criminals are always going to obtain firearms regardless of laws. You would still have to fill out the 4473 form as usual and have a background check, just like now. The way I describe would make it easier for law abiding gun owners or collectors to buy without going through two FFL's. Also you can now buy mail order ammo without any problems. Just a thought I had to make something a little less complicated in the complicated & crazy world we all live in today.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Best Idea Is.......

.......to make it easy as possible for the "good guys".

Now.....I gave up my FFL in early '94. Reason,Klintons policy of coming down on the small FFL holder that he knew he could intimidate. Another reason was,as a FFL dealer you are MORE restricted than the general public GG.

Although I have always fallen into the GG category I feel that my life is scrutinized enough without intentionally flying above the radar. As a non FFL now I have more freedom as per the federal laws and the laws of the state of Florida.

I basically am FOR any change in the laws that make it easier for the GG's,and harder for the BG's. I believe that most of us feel this way,however the anti weapon ownership types keep using their considerable power to make the GG's (me) jump thru all the hoops possible. That will NEVER change....but.....hopefully not get any worse.

Think of all the laws that we,as GG's,have to live by now. As the simple end user of a firearm AND as a person that has a CCW permit. While certain businesses continue to willfully hire convicted felons,they post signs that tell the CCW permit carrier they don't have the right to enter their store. As a GG AND a CCW permit holder I am considered guilty until proven innocent at the cost TO ME of $5. If we(the GG's) complain about this we are told,"whatdaya got to hide" ?? They are eager to use England,Australia,and other countries with very harsh firearms restrictions,as examples of how restrictive this country could be. The anti's tell us how "lucky" we are to live in the good ol' US of A.

Soooooo.....I say to the OP,yeah,I would agree with ANY and ALL new laws and ways of doing business that makes the 4473 type of stuff easier and LESS restrictive. BUT.....good luck with that.

Step back and take a look at the direction that this country is heading in. I say....while I will certainly stay the prime example of a middle class,all the tax paying,non welfare,GG,I want to fly lower and lower until the governments RADAR doesn't even come close to me. ------pruhdlr

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't even get me started on gun control laws. Gun control laws just make it HARDER for HONEST people to get guns. Gun laws don't protect citizens, they just make it harder for good people to own guns.

I think your idea is ok, but I don't have a problem with the gun being shipped to an FLL dealer, I just hate the "Transfer" fees. If you can do the paperwork yourself, and the FFL dealer just verifies you're a card holder, they should just hand the gun over without any fees. We pay an additional $15 NICS fee here too.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't even get me started on gun control laws. Gun control laws just make it HARDER for HONEST people to get guns. Gun laws don't protect citizens, they just make it harder for good people to own guns.

I think your idea is ok, but I don't have a problem with the gun being shipped to an FLL dealer, I just hate the "Transfer" fees. If you can do the paperwork yourself, and the FFL dealer just verifies you're a card holder, they should just hand the gun over without any fees. We pay an additional $15 NICS fee here too.
I know what you mean Airdale. Nothing would change but rather you wouldn't have to locate a FFL holder to ship the firearm to. Just cutting out one step. One would still have to fill out the 4473 form & have a background check. Like I personally live in a VERY small town with NO Gun Dealers, only Wal-Mart and they don't perform this serviice. My nearest FFL, other than Wal-Mart, is some 30 miles (Oneway).

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . the process you suggest above does not have any provisions for the FFL holder to confirm your identity. . .
Unfortunately, that's correct. No way to match an application with a photo ID so a BG could send the application in using anyone's name. Even then, photo IDs are always suspect anyway. That would make verification when it comes time to sign the delivery receipt for the firearm the responsibility of your friendly UPS, FEDEX, etc. driver and they aren't going to go that route.

It's always been my belief that the anti politicians have little to no knowledge of firearms or the shooting sports and that they are paranoid of guns as are many of their constituants.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
.......to make it easy as possible for the "good guys".

Now.....I gave up my FFL in early '94. Reason,Klintons policy of coming down on the small FFL holder that he knew he could intimidate. Another reason was,as a FFL dealer you are MORE restricted than the general public GG.

Although I have always fallen into the GG category I feel that my life is scrutinized enough without intentionally flying above the radar. As a non FFL now I have more freedom as per the federal laws and the laws of the state of Florida.

I basically am FOR any change in the laws that make it easier for the GG's,and harder for the BG's. I believe that most of us feel this way,however the anti weapon ownership types keep using their considerable power to make the GG's (me) jump thru all the hoops possible. That will NEVER change....but.....hopefully not get any worse.

Think of all the laws that we,as GG's,have to live by now. As the simple end user of a firearm AND as a person that has a CCW permit. While certain businesses continue to willfully hire convicted felons,they post signs that tell the CCW permit carrier they don't have the right to enter their store. As a GG AND a CCW permit holder I am considered guilty until proven innocent at the cost TO ME of $5. If we(the GG's) complain about this we are told,"whatdaya got to hide" ?? They are eager to use England,Australia,and other countries with very harsh firearms restrictions,as examples of how restrictive this country could be. The anti's tell us how "lucky" we are to live in the good ol' US of A.

Soooooo.....I say to the OP,yeah,I would agree with ANY and ALL new laws and ways of doing business that makes the 4473 type of stuff easier and LESS restrictive. BUT.....good luck with that.

Step back and take a look at the direction that this country is heading in. I say....while I will certainly stay the prime example of a middle class,all the tax paying,non welfare,GG,I want to fly lower and lower until the governments RADAR doesn't even come close to me. ------pruhdlr

My feelings about this exactly. We could see the handwriting on the wall when S&W sold out to the Klinton administration. We stopped handeling any S&W products. Then the insurance rates went sky high for gun shops here, so we just closed the doors and turned in the FFL and books.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts