Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given some guns by my grandfather and dad that didn't come with any manuals. So I went online and found some of them in PFD format (which I saved and printed so that I could also have a hard-copy). Here are the sites I've found so far.

http://gunmanuals.net/

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm (i like this one)

The problem I am having is that I can't find the manuals for 2 guns. If anyone can help please let me know. Maybe these models correspond to a more commong model and were just named differently due to the store they were sold in? (like the sears and roebuck shotgun)

Here are the guns:

1. 20 gauge bolt action shotgun (2 3/4"), J.C. Higgins Model 583.9 Sears and Roebuck

2. Marlin Glenfield Mod 30 (30-30 caliber rifle)

Thanks for any help, and hopfully these sites can help you guys too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Can't help you with the shotgun, but the Glenfield Model 30 is exactly the same as the Marlin 336, except with hardwood stock instead of walnut.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Might try H&R Model 121 as they made bolt firearms in addition to the break open models. Another possibility is High Standard although don't have any idea as to model.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well, some bad news on your Higgins: Seems it's been recalled. Here's some info that's a little old, but may be applicable... http://www.histandard.info/models/private/Sears/SearsBolt.html

And:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Sears Issues Voluntary Recall on J.C. Higgins Shotgun HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., March 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears, Roebuck and Co. (NYSE: S) today announced a voluntary recall of J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge shotguns, a product manufactured for and sold by the company during the 1950s. The shotguns are being voluntary recalled due to a potential problem with the bolt latch assembly, which could cause the assembly to fail allowing it to dislodge and strike the operator in the face. Sears is offering a $160 finders' fee for the return of the bolt, making the shotgun inoperable. The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the "J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. It was carried under a number of product numbers: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16, 583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 and 583.22. The product model number is engraved on the barrel of the shotgun. Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the shotgun. Call 800-817-9165 for identification verification and instructions on return procedures. Sears, Roebuck and Co. discontinued the sale of all firearms and ammunition in the early 1980s. Through its network of more than 830 full-line stores and 2,500 off-the-mall stores, Sears is a leading retailer of apparel, home and automotive products and services, serving more than 50 million households. SOURCE Sears, Roebuck and Co. End cut & paste I understand that Sears has now ended their "buy back" on bolts- but problem was a design flaw, and there is no commercial source of replacement bolts. Sorry- You CAN make a floorlamp for the "man cave" outa one- or a closet rod, electrical ground rod, or what most of us call a " 'mater stake" from http://www.auctionarms.com/help/forum/DisplayForum.cfm?SubjectID=23240

and http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/...story/03-06-1999/0000884021&EDATE=Mar+5,+1999

I didn't find it on sears.com's current list of recalls

Good luck!

:(

·
Registered
542 Posts
Also from the auctionarms site:

Back when they were having the recall I was sending in all the bolts that came in the store in these guns until they notified me that I had reached my limit of 10 per year....huh???? Some recall huh? I still didn't want to sell anymore considering that they may be unsafe so I was intentionally blowing up the barrels and removing the bolts and gave them to hunter safety instructors to use as examples to show people what happens with an obstructed bore, an overcharged load, the wrong cartridge shot ect.....

You know I learned something too.....those dang guns are hard to blow up! I actually had no damage to any of them while shooting tied down to a tire in the bottom of a ditch and pulling trigger with a string when I loaded several double charged loads and even some triple charged loads. I had them fire with no damage with the bore stuck in mud and then fired a double charge load and no damage resulted. I crammed a 20ga shell down the barrel as far as it would go then backed up with a 12ga triple charged load and that did burst the barrel but not as bad as I would have thought. The only way I was finally able to get the bananna peel effect was to take a oversized lead swaging slug and hammer it into the end of the barrel and then fire with a double charged load.

But the most interesting thing that I realized through the course of blowing up over 8 of these is this.......No bolt failures occured on any of them.

I currently have two of them for sale in my shop and have no worries anymore about selling or shooting them. JMHO Anybody ever experienced a failure with one?

The recall is baseless. It was the result of a person who was injured when he opened the bolt of of a model 10 jc higgins 583 3 12 gauge bolt action shotgun . The defect was not a result of actully firing,or the gun blowing up. The problem was that the bolt stop screw had been stripped which allowed the bolt to come out. The shooter pulled the bolt out so fast and hard that it came out the gun and struck him in the eye. This accident was actually the fault of user . He should have not used the gun with stripped or missing bolt stop screw.If he did he should of atleast been a little more carefull. Any gun no matter how well made can be dangerous when put in service with defects . Sears recalled the guns to protect themselves. The model 10 was Sears own product they had bought the rights to manufacture the from Harrington & Richardson .H&R actually made almost the same model before WW2. It was known as m H&R 120 gamester. For Sears they were called 105 Ranger. After WW2 Sears bought the H&R Riesing pattent and had High Standard manufacture an improved version under the JC Higgins name [sears owned a good size part of High standard back then] the model 10 was made from 1945 to 1956 .In good condition they are one of the best bolt action shotguns ever made, and of higher quality than any thing in their class. They are very strong and safe shotguns. Sears is no longer buying bolts or recalling them no one knows how many perfectly good shotguns were ruined buy one mans stupidity .My advice would be If you have one have it checked by a compitent gun smith and enjoy it. Or stake the screw so it does not loosen and fall out. They are old fashioned classics and still good hunters.

I won't say it would be safe to use, but perhaps not all is lost. Look into that last story and see if what he said was right. Maybe don't shoot it until you find out for sure though. . .

Edit: Just noticed that the number you gave was not listed in the recall notice. The recall noted models 583.13-22 12 ga inclusive were involved in the recall, not the model 583.9 20 ga. Again, don't take my word for it, I'm just going by what I see there.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Thanks great stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

Anyone have any information the the shotgun? Just bumping in hopes of some information.

1. 20 gauge bolt action shotgun (2 3/4"), J.C. Higgins Model 583.9 Sears and Roebuck

Also, if you're looking for a gun manual the links above work great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump

Anyone have any information the the shotgun? Just bumping in hopes of some information.

Also, if you're looking for a gun manual the links above work great.
Did you ever find the manual for the this shotgun?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Please read MikeG's post #10 above yours. This thread is 10 years old and the poster hasn't been back since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts