Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a couple of guns but don't know how the manufacturers line up, i.e. best to worst. I want something that is a decent quality but it doesn't have to be the most expensive or the cheapest. I'm looking at names like Korstog, Saiga, Huldra, Taurus, Savage, Rossi. I know Mossberg, Remington, and Ruger are supposed to be good brands. But there is also the price. How do I know what to buy? I'm looking at a Taurus Model 85 Polymer .38 Special for $279.99. is that a decent gun or would I want to spend more and what's the difference? Is it going to wear out faster? There's a Korstog Bran 5.56 DI Rifle for $899.99. I've never fired any of these so I don't even know the kick of each. The only guns I've fired are .22 pistol and rifle-12 Gauge shotgun and the M1 which has about the same kick as the 12 gauge. I want something with less of a kick of a 12 guage for my wife. Would I be better off going with a 5.56 or a 7.62 and what is the kick of those? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and want to keep it knowledgeable and safe. There's no one around my area to I can get this kind of support from. Thanks

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Mossberg??? this is a first.

Are you interested in a rifle, pistol, or shotgun? Most of the names you mention are in the lower half of quality...if not lower!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd suggest doing a LOT of reading, using the search feature (Google is your friend) and reading a bunch more. Along with that, I'd suggest visiting a local club/range and seeing first hand what is out there and how different models and chamberings handle.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You may want to narrow the topic down a bit,
Top of the line will be Holland and Holland, Rigby, Merkle in rifles and shotguns.

Jim

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,502 Posts
Even though I'm a Remington man to the end, I will say CZ makes some good stuff too.

RJ

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You may want to narrow the topic down a bit,
Top of the line will be Holland and Holland, Rigby, Merkle in rifles and shotguns.

Jim
Yep agree with this idea, and what is the purpose of the guns ? Will they be for home defense, range shooting, hunting, a little of all and if hunting what would you be hunting. There's quite a few rifle chamberings that won't kick like a 12 gauge or near a 12 gauge Welcome to the forum !!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I never heard of Korstog or Huldra.

What do you want the guns for? Hunting? Self defense? Shooting as a hobby? It kind of matters [a lot] in order to give you a sensible answer.

Taurus is a reputable company who has [for the large part] made a business of copying other company's designs. Their guns are generally reliable, but usually not as well finished as the copied originals. They are reasonably priced.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
Agree with Fred's questions - why do you want them. Any specific purpose you can nail down will yield much more relevant advice.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
You cannot name a manufacturer that someone on a forum won't blast. Do your research, examine as many examples as you can, and make up your own mind. Asking such a question on a forum like this is almost a waste of time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
When price is no option, go Holland and Holland.

The gun above cost more than some homes. Being specific about what you want is important.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Where are you? It sounds like you're not in America, as most people here wouldn't consider or even know about some of those brands. Maybe you're in the UK or southern Europe or something?

As far as price, in reading larbear's post, it seems like he's about in the middle of what we have here in America. I'm not a Taurus fan but you could do worse. I've never heard of Korstog. It sounds like it would come from one of the Slavic or Norse countries.

As far as your wife, a 12ga shotgun recoil can be as light as 222 or as heavy as a 45/70, or heavier, depending on what shells you're shooting.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Where are you? It sounds like you're not in America, as most people here wouldn't consider or even know about some of those brands. Maybe you're in the UK or southern Europe or something?

As far as price, in reading larbear's post, it seems like he's about in the middle of what we have here in America. I'm not a Taurus fan but you could do worse. I've never heard of Korstog. It sounds like it would come from one of the Slavic or Norse countries.

Ditto, I looked them up and the names are Norwegian but, Adams Arms makes the rifles and uppers for both. I think Adams is in the USA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the replies and the welcome. This shows you how much I DON'T know. I thought a 12-guage was a 12-guage and didn't know the kick would be different because I didn't know there were different shells besides shot and slug. Korstog and Huldra are sold through Fleet farm. The ones I've been looking at are similar in style to the AR-15. The .38 special is a Taurus for $279.99. I'm looking for these as home defense and maybe a little target practice.
http://nonsmokinggun.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/taurus-38-01-outtake1.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I should have tried to post all of these on one post. Sorry I'm new to this. I found out that Mills Fleet Farm is the exclusive distributor of Huldra and Korstaog maufactured by Adams Arms. Here's the Huldra. for 7.99.99 We have a Gander Mountain here and that's where I bought my 22 but they're not friendly at all and there is no shooting range or way to try out other firearms.http://www.huldraarms.com/i/pl/t_556_carbine.jpg

·
Registered
484 Posts
IMO for home defense, get a pump shotgun, I like a 20ga with light loads of 71/2 for in the house. It will not go through all the walls & kill the dog in the yard, 7/8 oz loads of 7 1/2 should be about 300 pellets, at 20 - 40 ft that will mess up someones day!

·
Registered
204 Posts
IMO for home defense, get a pump shotgun, I like a 20ga with light loads of 71/2 for in the house. It will not go through all the walls & kill the dog in the yard, 7/8 oz loads of 7 1/2 should be about 300 pellets, at 20 - 40 ft that will mess up someones day!
So true, had an accidental discharge once on the first floor, had to repair two ceilings, the floor on the second and the Shingles on the roof as well. (12 ga/3")

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whenever I am in the need of a firearm, I go to a website with a lot of choices like Able Ammo, and search for the type of firearm I'm looking for.

Take a few hours there looking around, then come back when you have found a few that are in your price range.

I suggest looking at pump shotguns and handguns. Different scenarios dictate using different firearms.
Say you and your wife heard noises in your house at night and you wanted to hold-up in your room while the police are on their way, a shotgun would be good for that.
But say you heard noises at night and you had to navigate your way to your children's rooms, opening doors and such. In that case, a long gun may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
This is certainly the conventional wisdom, but if you do some experimentation or Google the subject for articles you will find out that, like much conventional wisdom, it is wrong. Shotgun loads are among the worst offenders when it comes to penetration of conventional drywall/studs interior walls. Among the safest in this regard, believe it or not, are 45 to 55 gr. hollowpoint .223 loads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let me make a suggestion to you based on a vast amount of experience. Pistol = Glock 9 mil or preferably 40 cal (knock down power but controllable for Novice) or a SIG, an excellent weapon. They are almost idiot proof.
Rifle = Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, or Ruger M77.
Shotgun Remington 870 pump. excellent gun, most police departments use them, there is a reason for that.
As far as going cheap, save a little more and buy some quality. You are talking about a firearm, something you might need to use to save your life one day. You can go cheaper, or outrageously expensive, but you can not do much better. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts