Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where you guys get your powder from. I live in a rural area, the nearest gunshop is 20 miles. I like the man who owns it but, I`m getting tried of him not having what I need. The next shop is over 35 miles and you pay through the nose. I was thinking of mail ordering some. Do you have any suggestion of a supplier? I realize you have to pay for hazardous shipping on top of regular shipping. For me that beats not having powder.
         Thanks  Hippie

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Hippie,

You are right about the HazMat fees eating one up... on small powder orders.

I buy powder from Jeff Bartlett Reloaders.  He sells the surplus powders that I wrote a thread on a little while back, and has burning rates from AA#2 through H5150 and most intermediate burning rates in between.   I've found that you take no back seat to commercial canister powders with many of these.   The prices are right, and when you buy four 8# jugs at a time, he pays the hazmat!

No, not a subsitute for all canister powders, but it at least gives lots of quality bang for the buck!

Check out the link I gave you here!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Hippie,

Good advice from the our "Lead Chef".

Also you may try Wideners mail order as they frequently have powder specials with the HazMat and Shipping prepaid.

<a href="www.wideners.com" target='_blank'>www.wideners.com</a>

I'm currently residing about 60 miles north of NYC. Be glad you are where you are. I pay a #### of a price for convenience. Including draconian gun laws.

Have Fun

:cool:

·
Premium Member
14,699 Posts
My closest shop is 35 miles and the next one with loading gear 75 miles. Save travel and buy 8 lbs at a time. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,699 Posts
See!! That's the problem, some people check the dates. :) :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't often to 65 miles to the gun store. I usually combine it with some other trip to the area, like a shooting match.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I live in a rather rural area, so a 40 mile trip to buy reloading supplies is just part of the process for me.
Over the years I've even found myself forced to make 200 mile round trips to get what I need or prefer to use over just settling for second best. I don't often buy enough in one purchase to offset the hazmat fee from online suppliers, and I won't unless it's the only option in acquiring what I need.

Gotta do what I gotta do, or do without...

SMOA

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yep

It's an oldie for sure,
My local supplier is 20 mi away and has a 25% markup on almost everything. Next is 90 miles one way.
UPS an FEDEX are my friends even if I have to drive out to the county road to meet them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay, I'LL jump in, old thread or not. In more prosperous times, I bought an 8# jug of Alliant Promo (Red Dot without the dots), anticipating the demand for an economical powder for use in .45 ACP IDPA loads. That jug isn't as old as this thread, but I'm slightly past 1/2 through it, and I'm discovering more uses for the powder (in cartridges I would not have thought a good match) as time goes by.

I guess MY advice is, when you DO buy powder, buy BIG. It'll save money, and keep the shooter amply supplied in the long term. I also suggest that considerations of versatility over maximum performance govern the type of powder procured. An 8# jug of H4895 might not give QUITE the performance in a bolt action .30-06 as IMR-4350, but rifle calibers from .222 Remington to .45-70 (including use in AK rounds and .30-06 for Garands) may be reloaded with H4895, while the 4350 is not at its best in such cartridges. In the case of the two powders I mention, using IMR-4064 might be the best compromise.

·
Premium Member
14,699 Posts
Well said, Kosh...... Versatility overcomes shortages in availability.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Okay, I'LL jump in, old thread or not. In more prosperous times, I bought an 8# jug of Alliant Promo (Red Dot without the dots), anticipating the demand for an economical powder for use in .45 ACP IDPA loads. That jug isn't as old as this thread, but I'm slightly past 1/2 through it, and I'm discovering more uses for the powder (in cartridges I would not have thought a good match) as time goes by.

I guess MY advice is, when you DO buy powder, buy BIG. It'll save money, and keep the shooter amply supplied in the long term. I also suggest that considerations of versatility over maximum performance govern the type of powder procured. An 8# jug of H4895 might not give QUITE the performance in a bolt action .30-06 as IMR-4350, but rifle calibers from .222 Remington to .45-70 (including use in AK rounds and .30-06 for Garands) may be reloaded with H4895, while the 4350 is not at its best in such cartridges. In the case of the two powders I mention, using IMR-4064 might be the best compromise.
I have a couple of kegs of Promo and a few of Unique at all times. Pounds of others to mess with but with those two I can load about everything in a pinch

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
16 years and he hasn't figured it out. Just ask that local gun shop to order your desided powder the next time he orders his regular stuff...zero hazmat fee. and you keep your local guy in bussiness!

Actually since the op is listed as a Guest, means he is off this site ...gone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts