Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about building a gun rack i have a bunch of white cedar to do so, does anyone know if the oils from raw cedar have ill effects on gun barrels or am i just being paranoid?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,119 Posts
Many years ago, had the basement panelled out in knotty red cedar tongue/groove planks. Built a custom gun rack with it in the gunroom. Finished all with a urethane coating. Never had a problem with guns rusting in the rack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are concerned about oils from the wood, I would spray a coat of shellac on it and then top coat with a varnish or polyurethane. That would "seal" the wood adequately.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Not sure if you mean a 'standup'-type gun rack sitting on the floor, where the guns sit vertically on their butts and lean into barrel slots, or, a wall rack where it's all hanging off the wall? I'd be concerned more about wood strength with the latter type since cedar isn't a very strong wood. I agree with the others though; a sealing finish, at least in the barrel slots. You wouldn't have to seal the whole thing if you wanted to preserve the natural wood look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be concerned more about wood strength with the latter type since cedar isn't a very strong wood.
Sure were a lot of white cedar strip canoes that took a beating in whitewater. I would think white cedar would be plenty strong if thick enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts