Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a definitive American gun safe manufacturer to purchase. I currently own 7 long guns and 4 handguns. My home is on a concrete slab with limited storage space. I plan to put the safe in a closet so again, smaller will be best. Unfortunately, I don't see myself adding to many more guns to my collection in the near future.

Can I get some opinions on manufacturers and best places to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liberty are american made

Liberty Safe - America's #1 Safe Manufacturer of Gun Safes, Fire Safes, Home Safes and More!

Personally I turned a closet in our bonus room into a safe. New fire proof solid door. Built custom gun racks and shelves and put key code dead bolt on it. Someone breaks in they might not ever notice it.
That sounds very creative. I am curious how much skill was involved in doing something like that. Could you post a picture(s) of your custom safe? How about cost and details of the materials you used?

Thanks!

·
Banned
738 Posts
I can post some tomorrow when I get back home. I built a 14 long rack with bottom shelf for ammo. It sits on the floor and I screwed it into interior back wall so it doesn't move. In my bonus room I have a closet that is probably 2 foot deep by 6 feet wide. I got the idea once I realized that my gun collection is always going to grow and I didn't want to spend 5k on a safe to hold them all. Safes are great but safes scream "look at me" to a robber. I spent 200 on a door. You can order from lowes. Usually closet doors are small so you have to special order a solid fire door. I spent about 40 bucks on the custom rifle rack. My next add on will be a pistol rack mounted to the inside of the door similar to what a safe would look like. I will have more photos to follow.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can post some tomorrow when I get back home. I built a 14 long rack with bottom shelf for ammo. It sits on the floor and I screwed it into interior back wall so it doesn't move. In my bonus room I have a closet that is probably 2 foot deep by 6 feet wide. I got the idea once I realized that my gun collection is always going to grow and I didn't want to spend 5k on a safe to hold them all. Safes are great but safes scream "look at me" to a robber. I spent 200 on a door. You can order from lowes. Usually closet doors are small so you have to special order a solid fire door. I spent about 40 bucks on the custom rifle rack. My next add on will be a pistol rack mounted to the inside of the door similar to what a safe would look like. I will have more photos to follow.
How about the locking system? I do really liike the idea that it just looks like another closet. With my home being on a slab I could easily bolt it to the floor. And it being in a closet, a thief would have to look for it, not that that couldn't happen, but I think that would be better than it being a "furniture piece".

·
Banned
738 Posts
I bought a Schlage electronic deadbolt with built in door handle. I think it was 150 bucks at lowes. I picked it because The keypad is small and not noticeable. You can still use a key to unlock if needed. I also liked the fact that 10 seconds after I keyed in my unlock code it locks back. So I can grab a gun or ammo and just push door closed. Wife liked the fact that we didn't buy a huge safe that takes up so much space she wants to creat another gun rack in the master closet with door lock. She thinks we can make that closet a panic room for when I am out of town.

On another note I purchased a big can of silica for gun safes and a anti rust pad. The closet is cooler than I thought and very dry inside. I have a small card on the gun rack that tells me the moisture/humidity levels

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a Schlage electronic deadbolt with built in door handle. I think it was 150 bucks at lowes. I picked it because The keypad is small and not noticeable. You can still use a key to unlock if needed. I also liked the fact that 10 seconds after I keyed in my unlock code it locks back. So I can grab a gun or ammo and just push door closed. Wife liked the fact that we didn't buy a huge safe that takes up so much space she wants to creat another gun rack in the master closet with door lock. She thinks we can make that closet a panic room for when I am out of town.

On another note I purchased a big can of silica for gun safes and a anti rust pad. The closet is cooler than I thought and very dry inside. I have a small card on the gun rack that tells me the moisture/humidity levels
The more I read about your gun closet the more intrigued I am. I know you said you were waiting to get home to send more pictures but I would like to see if possible, the door and the detail of the installed lock.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
It depends what you prefer

I have Champion and Liberty gun safes and really like them. It might be helpful to contact a gun safe dealer to see if they have any used gun safes for sale. That is what I did. Folks seem to outgrow gun safes and often trade them in. I also found a new gun safe with a hardly noticeable scratch and dent that was a real bargain. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Compare various brands. The safes should serve 2 purposes: protection from thieves and protection from fire. A large closet converted to a "gun room safe" by the installation of a safe door may not protect adequately from fire. The fire ratings of safes are usually specified in the advertising. Get a larger one than what you expect to need - firearms can reproduce rapidly and valuables other than guns (documents, jewelry, emergency money, small heirlooms, etc.) can also be stored in it for protection from thieves and fire.

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Compare various brands. The safes should serve 2 purposes: protection from thieves and protection from fire. A large closet converted to a "gun room safe" by the installation of a safe door may not protect adequately from fire. The fire ratings of safes are usually specified in the advertising. Get a larger one than what you expect to need - firearms can reproduce rapidly and valuables other than guns (documents, jewelry, emergency money, small heirlooms, etc.) can also be stored in it for protection from thieves and fire.
Gil Martin and Irv S - I hope that my gun collection does expand :cool: but right now it is at it's lowest inventory point so that is a good start. And like Gil said, I could maybe trade it in the future. Thanks to you both!

·
Banned
738 Posts
I agree that gun safes may offer more protection in some fire situations. But as far as protection from burglary the jury is still out on safes vs less obvious safes. The only thing left for me to really do is have a contractor install fire board which I am still thinking about doing. Google images of safes after a fire. You will see that a majority of your guns will still be ruined. You will see that things can melt down to nothing.

My concern isn't will my ar-15 survive a fire if my house burns down. I'm only concerned about my family. I am concerned with being able to get access and keep access away from certain people. I love safes and would love to own own but at current prices this gave me more storage, it's less obvious, and the access is exactly what I need. Plus for the size safe I would need I would have to reinforce the sub floor which is a pia. I will send more photos later today.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree that gun safes may offer more protection in some fire situations. But as far as protection from burglary the jury is still out on safes vs less obvious safes. The only thing left for me to really do is have a contractor install fire board which I am still thinking about doing. Google images of safes after a fire. You will see that a majority of your guns will still be ruined. You will see that things can melt down to nothing.

My concern isn't will my ar-15 survive a fire if my house burns down. I'm only concerned about my family. I am concerned with being able to get access and keep access away from certain people. I love safes and would love to own own but at current prices this gave me more storage, it's less obvious, and the access is exactly what I need. Plus for the size safe I would need I would have to reinforce the sub floor which is a pia. I will send more photos later today.
I am with you on this reloader77. I don't currently have any protection, other than a closet for my guns so anything would be a step up for me! And I like the sound of it just being another "closet".

·
Registered
547 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts