Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a chance on an older 39A at a gun show. It was missing the firing pin and the butt plate was broken. Also, the lever wouldn't open the action unless it was forced to the side. I replaced the firing pin and butt plate but still can't open the action with the lever--any suggestions? I haven't gone beyond simple takedown--logic tells me the lever must be bent, but maybe I'm overlooking something simple? Would appreciate any and all help.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Separate the halves and see if it still seems to catch. I would think you would be able to see where it's hanging up by placing the lever in that position with it apart and looking for a notch, etc?

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update on my 39A. Nothing wrong with the lever--after I did some hand fitting to the new firing pin, a very nice product from a guy named Wisner here in CA, everything works fine. My gun is 1953 vintage. Some slight pitting on right side of receiver and a couple places on the barrel, but overall VG. Stock is also VG, with only a couple of minor dings. I paid $300, plus another $35 for a new firing pin and butt plate. Got the butt plate from Brownells--although the butt plate listed under Marlin 39A is not correct--order the one under Mod. 336. This is my third 39A--the first two got away somehow but I'm keeping this one!

·
Banned
421 Posts
That's great news! I have purchased several things from Wisner's and they are great to do business with. I have several 39A's in various configurations, and I'm always looking to add to that collection. It's getting real hard to find one for $300 in any condition, so I'd say you got a fine deal!
Take a chore girl or similar brass or copper wool product, not steel, and some gun oil or Hoppe's #9, and you can gently scrub that rust freckling away with no damage to the bluing beneath it. If it's not through the bluing it may disappear completely. Good luck with that wonderful piece of history! I think the 39 is one of the finest guns ever built, of any caliber!

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, au--I had the gun at the range today and at first had a lot of misfires. The firing pin is very blunt so I did a little stoning of the tip and now it works fine. Once I find what ammo it likes best I'll shoot it in some cowboy silhouette matches. Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
pete - I found a buttplate for my '57 39A at a gunshow. And the one that he had for a 39 didn't fit right either...and I ended up with a larger one, and I think it was listed for a 336....just ordered a bullseye...thanks for the heads up.

Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.