Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wandered around the aisles of the local gun show today for a couple hours. Nice crowd while I was there, but was dismayed at all the displays of non-gun related junk that seems to be encroaching in these shows more and more. I mean really - crystal ware, china and picnic tables???? C'mon, the jewelry, cosmetics and kewpie dolls are bad enough!

With that vent, I notice an upward creep on most things. Springfield 03's and 03a3's seem to have increased $100 or so since the last show. Most were going in the $450 - $700 range. Heck, even saw one early 03 that had a $3100 price tag! Didn't see any engraving, so the barrel must'a been plugged solid with gold! Not too many K-31's on display - the MN's were starting at $100. Lots of K-98 conversions, none less that $350. Salvated over all the Colt 1st and 2nd generation 45's. Cheapest was around $1,100 and was a piece of junk. All lever guns, both new and used were well overpriced. As a result, kept my hands in my pockets.

Sold a Case combination knife/ax that was of 1938 vintage. The leather scabbard had badly deterioated, but got within $25 of my top price, so felt I came out of the show ahead.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
I've never seen a real good bargain at the gun shows around here. I think you can thank the internet for that - everybody and their dog knows the value of things, people can bid on things all around the country regardless of local economic conditions or buying trends. It's tough to find a decent deal any more, unless you watch real carefully and get lucky.

IDShooter

·
Banned
739 Posts
kdub,

I used to really enjoy going to the Mesa gun show. Now I am depressed. Even the little gun show we have around here every three months beats that.

Pretty soon they wont be much more than a fleamarket.

Darn...............:(

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Yeah, but if you're at the gun show, and suddenly remember it's your anniversary, those people selling candles can really bail you out. Don't ask me how I know this.... LOL...

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I dunno, most of the shows up here are full of guns and they generally have pretty good prices, no real steals but thats okay. I hate to think someone got cheated on the deal. I run into a lot more ''honest folk'' up here. THey don't really care what its worth, they just like to see that someone got some use out of their junk, hate to call it that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do you have to pay to get into the shows you go to? There was one here about a couple months ago that I decided to run into town to check out, but they had their hand out asking for $6 just to walk in the door. I told them I did not see that in any of their advertisements that I saw and turned around and walked out.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've paid as little as $3 and as much as $8 to get into them... Its not a big deal to me... I grumble when I have to pay more than $5, which is getting more common... oh well... I figure if I pick up a box of primers, I've already saved that $5.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:confused: went to the show in Winston-Salem NC over the weekend with my sons, and found absolutely no supplies related to reloading or cleaning etc etc. asked one of the gents behind a table and he said that no one reloads anymore.... well he must be a moron, I do not know too many shooters who do not reload... the firearms were way overpriced also.....

:confused: what gives?????

:D

sam

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Gunshows

Hello,
Gunshows around here generally charge seven bucks for admission,but the local newspaper advertisement includes a dollar off.
Most dealers are honest but some,definately are not.
Best deals are from other patrons,like myself;but there.you hhave to worry about buying a stolen gun.
I envy those who can trust everybody in the place.
Frank

·
Registered
510 Posts
The ones in Portland, Oregon are $8/day $18 for 3 or something, plus $7 parking a day. Annoyingly high, but then again, I suppose it is to be expected, the convention center gets 100% of the parking fees, and since there isn't any parking nearby, you pretty much have to pay it. Light rail does go there, but people look at you kinda funny if you take an AK-47 home on the train ;)

The show is (as far as I know) the only place to buy bulk and milsurp ammo in the city (Aloha surplus also carries milsurp, but their prices aren't great).

Gun prices aren't great either, and there seems to be a lot of scammers trying to sell guns / rusted parts. Can't say for sure, but hey, if you're going to drop a couple hundred bucks on something you want to be sure.

I really don't know what is going on with the beanie baby thing, and yeah, there is a lot of useless stuff.
But if you want any odd stuff or Saturday Night Specials, it is a great place to buy them.

Not too many worries about stolen guns in oregon, you have to do a background check and the people doing the checks check ID, although there are some fishy characters. Some guy with a cop badge claiming to be from New Orleans was trying to sell a pretty spiffy .308 in September (9th, 10th, 11th) of this year.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The gun shows here arent too good. Unless you want to buy a new gun at a good price. The dealers will drop prices to compete. It used to be that you could get a lot of good accessories and ammo from gunshows at discount prices. Now there are a lot fewer vendors for these items. Probably because you can get most anything on the net. Theres only one vendor at the Tallahasse show that sells reloading stuff. Used to be a lot more.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I just did the gun show at St. Maries, ID and it was pretty good. The one at Moscow last month was a stinker mostly because of the weather.

Folks were selling guns, but there was a lot of dealer trading going on also. Nice thing about a show is you can still do some dickering and that is getting much harder in your local sporting goods stores.

After putting up a table a couple of times I see a lot of folks that really arn't in the business, but like to buy, sell and trade. Besides it's still a fun thing to do, at least for me. I don't know if I come out any ahead, but I do enjoy the atmosphere, especially of the smaller gun shows.

·
Banned
136 Posts
The shows around here have always charged to get in. And for the prices, they are normally higher than I can buy at a local shop for. For example, I was at a show before Christmas, the guy had about 200 or so gun rugs in various sizes, he wanted $10.00 each, I said to hime would you take $45.00 for 5 of them? He says to me, I told you my price is $10.00 each, this is when I told him, ok, by the way you can just keep this other $50.00 worth of stuff I had in my hand. So over $5.00 he lost $95.00 in sales. It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not him. My point is this seems to be the trend here, its hard to find someone willing to talk prices.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't even bother going to the shows around here anymore. There is usually one about every three months. Addmission too high, guns priced too high and usually just a lot of crap to wade through to even get to the guns. No reloading supplies either. Will save my money and keep cruising the pawn shops. That seems to be about the only place to get a good deal anymore.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I haven't been to a gun show in years, but I can say that the exact same things are happening with computer shows. Selections are way down, prices are okay at best, and more and more, non computer products, like beanie-babies are showing up. It must be the whole "show and sale" industry.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good to know it isn't just me noticing these trends. Way overpriced to get in, and then the guns/parts themselves look to be 100 years old. You do get the occasional local shop selling new items, but have to wade through a lot to find them.

Guns shows & sporting goods shows in WI when I was growing up were very different; all the latest things could be found, and it was fun. Seems everyone these days is looking to make too much out of what they have...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went to a gun show about a month ago here in western wisconsin,5bucks to get in.They had a lot of knives and swords.Very few modern rifles,a ton of old military rifles and in
poor shape a lot of chineze sks's and boy they sure was asking the price for them.Very few handguns.It seems the prices were way to high.Walyworld could beat most of the prices.Did'nt buy anything,could'nt afford to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts