Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1: Will the simple act of sliding a gun sock over a scoped rifle affect the zero of the scope?

2: Is the gun sock a good way to protect a rifle's finish and prevent corrsion?

·
Banned
296 Posts
The sock wont be any different than putting it in a case and wont change the zero. I have a friend who I squirrel hunt with and he carries his Henry Golden Boy in a sock through the woods to prevent scratches and such. I wouldnt suggest that you leave it on while firing it but if you were to cut the end of the sock I dont think it would hurt it.

Some of the socks leave a very fine and basically clear film on the gun. Its similar to the silicon gun and reel cloths that you can buy and they are supposed to help prevent corrosion (as long as the gun was clean when you put it in the sock).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha Ha...I didn't mean shooting with the sock on lol. I meant sliding the sock over the scope with a snug fit possibly affecting the zero of the scope.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've only ever bought the silicone treated 'socks' and I've had more rust issues than I care to imagine. I don't store guns in the 'socks' or closed hard cases anymore. The foam in the hard cases will degrade and form an acid over time.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I figured you didnt intend to shoot it with the sock on but I know how Tennessee boys are. Lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only ever bought the silicone treated 'socks' and I've had more rust issues than I care to imagine. I don't store guns in the 'socks' or closed hard cases anymore. The foam in the hard cases will degrade and form an acid over time.
Seriously? I thought the socks would prevent corrosion.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
They act as a barrier and keep moisture in. It's just surface speckling, but thats rust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you ever had issues with your scope losing its zero after sliding a gun sock on or off I would think you should look at the mounts, rings, and finally your scope.

I have seen more guns covered in rust from being stored in a case of some kind. I always wonder if they stored them when they were still damp or wet from a hunt? I also thought gun socks w/ silicone would be fine too.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Biggest thing about storing your gun outside of a gun safe or cabinet is moisture in the air. In a safe you have the option of a dehumidifier and the ability to control the moisture caused by temp changes. Probably the worst thing you could do with the sock is leaving it on a cold gun and taking it straight into a house. Once it gets inside the gun will begin to sweat and all that moisture will be kept under the sock. Another bad idea would be to put the gun inside the sock and then store it in a basement where there is a lot of moisture in the air. Its really a bad idea all around to store a gun in a basement whether its in a sock or not.

·
Banned
425 Posts
1: Will the simple act of sliding a gun sock over a scoped rifle affect the zero of the scope?

2: Is the gun sock a good way to protect a rifle's finish and prevent corrsion?
No it hasn't effected my zero's yet! I have my rifle in sock in cabnets with and with out dryers and they are in a climate control room. They don't rust. They seem to absorb some of the gun oil after long term storage. I use the "socks" mostly to keep the guns from touching each other as they are packed fairly tight in some instances as gun safes are like tents and inflatable boats the sizes or amount they hold seem to be off a few? When you got accesories like scopes, slings, lights, etc... they don't fit like in the photos! So for number 2 its yes and no! They protect finish and in my case the don't cause rust! You need to prevent moisture at all costs! In my heated bedroom I have a couple in socks in or near the closet and they don't rust, but then again they are the back ups to the goto guns so they are socked mostly to protect from dents, dings, and scratches!

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
just don t store in anything that puts any pressure on the scope..
i did that and had to resight it in.. next day the plastic [or what ever ]had gone back to form an i had to resight it again..lesson learned..slim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts