Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
The sock wont be any different than putting it in a case and wont change the zero. I have a friend who I squirrel hunt with and he carries his Henry Golden Boy in a sock through the woods to prevent scratches and such. I wouldnt suggest that you leave it on while firing it but if you were to cut the end of the sock I dont think it would hurt it.

Some of the socks leave a very fine and basically clear film on the gun. Its similar to the silicon gun and reel cloths that you can buy and they are supposed to help prevent corrosion (as long as the gun was clean when you put it in the sock).

·
Banned
296 Posts
Biggest thing about storing your gun outside of a gun safe or cabinet is moisture in the air. In a safe you have the option of a dehumidifier and the ability to control the moisture caused by temp changes. Probably the worst thing you could do with the sock is leaving it on a cold gun and taking it straight into a house. Once it gets inside the gun will begin to sweat and all that moisture will be kept under the sock. Another bad idea would be to put the gun inside the sock and then store it in a basement where there is a lot of moisture in the air. Its really a bad idea all around to store a gun in a basement whether its in a sock or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.