Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest Lee loading manual for the 45-70 Modern Design aka Ruger #1 section for a 300 grain jacketed bullet it shows a load of 59.5 start load and a 63.0 max load using H 4198. These are both compressed loads. How big of a deal is a compressed load in the 45-70 using H 4198. Is it hard to load this much of a charge of H 4198 in the 45-70 case using a 300 grain bullet?

·
Registered
140 Posts
In the latest Lee loading manual for the 45-70 Modern Design aka Ruger #1 section for a 300 grain jacketed bullet it shows a load of 59.5 start load and a 63.0 max load using H 4198. These are both compressed loads. How big of a deal is a compressed load in the 45-70 using H 4198. Is it hard to load this much of a charge of H 4198 in the 45-70 case using a 300 grain bullet?
Those loads use the Winchester cases. I've used the 59.5gr load in my Ruger #1 (full length sized brass) and found it no problem at all to get that much powder in the case.

Chris.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have Hornady once fired leverevolution brass. I see a post referring to it as "short" what gives with the Hornady brass?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Recoil will be quite stout with 59.5 grains of H4198, I load 45 grains behind a paper patched 300 grain .452 and it has a sharp recoil. I have also loaded 41.2 grains behind a 300 gr. JHP that shot real good and if I remember the recoil was not as bad as the paper patch load. I tend to like the level one loads for punching paper and shoot mostly 405 grain lead with Unique but H4198 I think is a good choice for jacketed bullets at least in my rifle.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I use a load of 53gr H4198 behind a 300 gr jhp in my Marlin 1895 guide gun for 2100 fps as my standard load. I don't think I could hold onto a 63 gr load.

·
Registered
668 Posts
At some point using a drop tube will facilitate compressed loads. When throwing a charge or one off the scale pan seems fill the case too much a drop tube will give you more space. Some people also have an aversion to feeling/hearing powder crunching when seating the bullet. That condition just comes with the territory.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I would not use that load in the short Hornady brass, it has a lot lower volume. H4198 is good in my 444 Marlin, so I would say it probably would be good powder in a normal length case.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks. I have Hornady once fired leverevolution brass. I see a post referring to it as "short" what gives with the Hornady brass?
The Hornady Leverevolution brass was shortened in the 45-70 loading due to the longer gummy tip bullet crimping for the leverguns and maintaining the 2.5" nom length.
To use regular flat nose bullets for reloading results in less powder space with these cases when crimping in their cannaleurs resulting in higher pressures.
Read your reloading data closely in regards to overall length or segregate brass for use with gummy tip loads only.
Didn't mean to hi-jack a thread, but the question deserves an answer for safety's sake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts