Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking on the internet and saw a h&r pardner 10 gauge single shot does anybody own a h&r or know how strong they are i handload and would make it a dedicated slug and buckshot gun get a custom slug mold like the lyman 525 but for 10 gauge the choke is x-full but i am sure that i could get a ic for it thanks for any help that might come

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
All I can say is that I know a guy that has one. I shot it exactly once with a 3 1/2" slug load from a pic-nic table while wearing a t-shirt.

It took most of a week for my shoulder to forget the event. My brain still remembers what my shoulder said at the time. I can't post that on this forum.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not worried about recoil i like a thumping gun i have a super mag rifle , revolver now i need a shotgun

·
Registered
547 Posts
10 ga. are on an SB2 strength frame or in other words, it's a hardened steel frame, not a ductile iron frame as the regular shotguns are. You can use any of the screw-in chokes that they stock for 10 ga. If you buy the waterfowl gun, it comes with modified, the turkey gun comes with extra full. 8)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
All I can say is that I know a guy that has one. I shot it exactly once with a 3 1/2" slug load from a pic-nic table while wearing a t-shirt.

It took most of a week for my shoulder to forget the event. My brain still remembers what my shoulder said at the time. I can't post that on this forum.

Cheezywan
Sounds like that's a gun "Tang" would be interested in shooting. :D I have a nerve injury, in my back, from firing a 12 gauge slug in a light weight Ithica. Because of this injurt I can't shoot a Bow anymore.:(

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't know about your gun but I have the H&R model 176, the 3 1/2" 10 gauge with the 36" barrel. It has a lot more push but it's gentler than my 18" 12 gauge and a lot sexier to shoot. That gun is so much fun it should be illegal. Only reason I don't shoot it more is its hard to find shells for it, the expense of those shells and I haven't gotten a reloader yet that will handle 10 gauge shells.

I guess it's going to depend on how well the gun fits you and its total weight as to how hard it's going to punch you. I certainly can't fault mine in either category and I see no signs of damage or wear after my first case of shells.

It is full choked and buckshot is pretty much useless at any real hunting distance but at 25 yards #6, 4 lead shot and #3 steel shot cover a rabbit size target right nicely, haven't tried it farther than that yet but I'm going to. A foster type slug should work alright but my experience with buckshot and that full choke says its pretty useless much past 10 yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts