Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering buying a H-S Precision Stock for my Winchester Model 70. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are of them and what kind of accuracy improvements I can expect. I have an older Bell & Carlson stock on it now (1990) and am have about 1 1/4" groups at 100yrds.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Many things affect accuracy, and I've never had stock fitment seriously reduce group size.

That said, the HS Precision is a heavy stock, it will be heavier than your B&C, it won't be as heavy as a McMillan. Personally I would go with a Boyds stock, they give a nice solid barrel channel and if you get a virtually inletted one, you can get very precise fitment. They start at about $79 + shipping.

·
Banned
505 Posts
H-S has some nice stocks. Spendy to some. I got mine on a used rifle I bought. I like it, its nice and seems to fit well and the lop is adjustable. Check one out before you buy one, you could get a few boyds stocks for the money?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have a few rifles with H&S stocks, they are a great tactical/varmint stock but due to weight I wouldn't recomend them for a carry rifle. Unless your present stock fit is sloppy you wont see much if any accuracy improvement. Even though these stocks have an aluminum bedding block I still give them a skim coat of bedding compound. The reciever has to be a perfect match to the stock for best accuracy and I have yet to find one that was. Any good quality stock that has been bedded will give you the same results regardless of price. 1-1/4" groups aren't that bad, try differen't load combinations, a GOOD barrel cleaning and maybe look at the crown for nicks or wear.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have an H-S Prevision stock on my custom 6.5mm WSM, and it's great. It is a tactical model, and I think it weighs around 2.5 pounds. I seem to recall that the sporter model that they sell for the Win 70 weighs considerably less.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i put an HS on a rem 700, its a very accurate gun to begin with. i cant say anything about how it improved accuracy because i only had it about a week before i put the stock on and hadnt really shot it much. but what i can say about it is how nice it feels. the palm swell is awesome in positioning my hand without having to concentrate on it. it was considerably heavier than the factory stock. mine is the swat/tactical model.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
FWIW, there was some contoversy last year when the head of the company supported Obama for President...or some sort of restrictive firearms regulation. I can't remember the exact details. I can say for sure, it was enough for me to not want to use their product.

This doesn't reflect on the quality of the product, but may be a factor to consider. YOu could google this to confirm the facts. Similar in some ways to the Cooper firearms company controversy. Only at Cooper, they fired the company president after the incident.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My Sendero came with one from the factory. This is my first time dealing with an HS stock. As Matt said, they are kind of heavy, but the full length aluminum bedding block does make it very rigid. I really like the oversized palm swell on this one, its a very comfortable grip, and it seems like it keeps me from pulling the gun off when I squeeze the trigger. Although that could just be in my head, but it works...lol I'm very pleased with the quality of the stock.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,956 Posts
My stocks run from El Cheapo Ramline to Boyds, B&C, H-S and McMillan.

The H-S is on a custom 6.5-06 and is truly a working man's stock. The barreled action was carefully inletted to the particular configuration and the barrel channel free-floated from forend to chamber. This rifle shoots sub-MOA with my handloaded 129 gr Hornady SST's.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yall have changed my mind. I really wanted a thumbhole to begin with and I can get that with the boyd's stock. Anyone have any pics of thumbhole boyd's stock?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I managed to convince myself I needed one too... I got a walnut one for a Rem 700 SA... its gonna be nice on that gun.

·
Registered
817 Posts
FWIW, there was some contoversy last year when the head of the company supported Obama for President...or some sort of restrictive firearms regulation. I can't remember the exact details. I can say for sure, it was enough for me to not want to use their product.

This doesn't reflect on the quality of the product, but may be a factor to consider. YOu could google this to confirm the facts. Similar in some ways to the Cooper firearms company controversy. Only at Cooper, they fired the company president after the incident.
I had not heard this, so out of curiosity, I did a search and came up empty. I found plenty about Cooper but could not find any reference to HS Precision supporting Obama.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I had not heard this, so out of curiosity, I did a search and came up empty. I found plenty about Cooper but could not find any reference to HS Precision supporting Obama.
http:

You got me curious to remember, so I checked it out. Here's the deal. Their new catalog had a testimonial from the FBI sniper (aka "assassin") who killed Randy Weaver's son or wife in Idaho back in the early 90's. When they were advised about this major gaffe, they published the response linked below.

Many of us thought the FBI guy should be in prison and that any company dumb enough or callous enough to use him in a promotion deserves to look for business elsewhwere.

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/12/statement-of-hs-precision.html

If you aren't aware of the Randy Weaver persectution by the ATF/FBI, you can find plenty of info on line. The man was acquited of all charges, but he lost his family to overzealous federal agents.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
He actually wasn't acquitted of ALL charges, he served some time in prison (1 year, I believe) and I can;t quite remember what the actual charge was. I say this not to disparage Weaver but just as a point of fact.

Also, Lon Huaruchi (sp?) was the "sniper" and, if he was also known as "assasin", I doubt seriously if it was he who picked the moniker. More likely, it was dubbed upon him by other persons. The FBI sniper, if I've read correctly, was not proud of his "mistake", nor were any collegues. Again, not as an excuse, but what was done was done for that guy. There's no recalling bullets once they leave the cartridge.

There's a good book (one of many) on the Weaver story titled Ruby Ridge, by Jess Walter. Of the two or three I've read, and countless articles, I like that one best. I read it twice, in fact, might go for a third in the next couple of years.

Probably the sniper might've been imprisoned - he surely was charged and acquitted (or they failed to indict, can;t remember now), right or wrong. Clearly though, higher-ups in Washington were more implicit than he, if that could be believed.

Just a thought......

·
Banned
131 Posts
If you want a thumbhole stock then look at Accuracy International for the AICS stock. It doesn't require bedding, don't ask me how but it doesn't. It's the stock they use for all the AI AW and AI AWSM's. They're slightly spendy though.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
He actually wasn't acquitted of ALL charges, he served some time in prison (1 year, I believe) and I can;t quite remember what the actual charge was. I say this not to disparage Weaver but just as a point of fact.

Also, Lon Huaruchi (sp?) was the "sniper" and, if he was also known as "assasin", I doubt seriously if it was he who picked the moniker. More likely, it was dubbed upon him by other persons. The FBI sniper, if I've read correctly, was not proud of his "mistake", nor were any collegues. Again, not as an excuse, but what was done was done for that guy. There's no recalling bullets once they leave the cartridge.

There's a good book (one of many) on the Weaver story titled Ruby Ridge, by Jess Walter. Of the two or three I've read, and countless articles, I like that one best. I read it twice, in fact, might go for a third in the next couple of years.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this info may be of interest to some potential buyers of HS stocks.

Probably the sniper might've been imprisoned - he surely was charged and acquitted (or they failed to indict, can;t remember now), right or wrong. Clearly though, higher-ups in Washington were more implicit than he, if that could be believed.

Just a thought......
As I recall, the state of Idaho tried to charge the sniper, but the feds may have intervened. Your books should have the facts on that.

He was "only following orders", just like the feds that burned out the folks in Waco and like the cops that confiscated firearms in New Orleans after Katrina. How did that excuse fly at the Nuremburg War Trials? Don't think this stuff can't happen in the good ol' USA. When it's exposed it should not be tolerated!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm familiar with the Lon Huroichi endorsement incident. I know HS Precision had to eat some crow on that but that has nothing to do with Obama. Now Dan Cooper on the other hand apparently did endorse Obama but he is not affiliated with HS. Anyway sorry to original poster, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. By the way I have two rifles with HS stocks and used to have one other. Both are really nice stocks. They are plenty rigid in the forearm area for use of a bipod and are well built. The aluminum bedding blocks are nice and make the stock real durable in the recoil lug and receiver area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts