Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a minimum and maximum load for a 255 grain gas checked Keith style bullet. I will be using H110 and firing it in a Marlin 94. According to the Hodgdon manual a 250 gr Hornady XTP will start at 25.7gr and max out at 26.5gr. This is what I have been shooting but want to switch to lead. I'm not out to set any speed records with this combo, just want know where a lead GC load stands in relation to thier jacketed load. I'm hoping to get about 1650fps. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I haven't tried for max loads with that combo at all yet, most of the time I use heavier bullets when looking for max loads. With a 255-270 gr Keith 24.0 gr of H110 has been a great load. It does 1,100 fps from my 5.5" Bisley with the 270 gr Keith, not bad recoil at all.

Hopefully someone else has done some max experiments with that combo and can help you out on that end of the scale.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,324 Posts
You'll need a chronograph to know for sure, but I would start with the published data, at the starting load.

For what it's worth..... only time I loaded bullets that light in the .45 Colt w/296, it gave impressive fireballs from my Ruger Bisley. I've never gotten good ballistic uniformity with anything below 300 grains with 296/H110 in the .45 Colt.

Your rifle may be a little better behaved than a revolver with that light of bullet.

Also compare the seating depth and case volume of the cast bullet with a jacketed bullet that the data is based on. If they're close, you should be in pretty good shape, assuming it's a quality bullet & lube.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't own the Hogdon Maunual but that seems very hot to me. The Speer #13 manual shows 23 gr to be the max for 250 gr up to 300 gr bullets? I've loaded these weights and they come out of my Win 94 20" barrel at 1700 and some change. plenty for 45 LC ! I've gotten the 250 gr XTPs out at almost 1800 fps with W296 which is fast for them and they do fall apart when they hit something-anything! :eek:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,324 Posts
They are not loaded to the same pressure levels.

The current Hodgdon data is to 30,000CUP for all 'heavy' .45 Colt loads.

Speer holds their 'heavy' data down to 25,000CUP or below - it's in the cartridge writeup (at least it is in my #12 manual).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts