Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using 2400 for a long time. I hear a lot of people that like H110.I was told by the manager of the gun store I like the best that for lead use 2400 and for copper use H110. Just wanted to see how you guys think about this... Thanks. I bet this has come up a lot over the years but could not fine a thread on it..

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
Knowing you I would go with the H110 regardless - I like the Winchester 296 but now its made by the same manufacturer so I'm not sure if there is any difference. As long as its gas checked hard cast lead will work fine. H110/296 are best for max loads with heavy bullets. Did you report back on your hog hunting adventure?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't went yet. Works a little slow for me so the money not there..I'm still playing around with the copper Barnes bullets loads.(thats why I picked up some H110..) I went down to the DFG and found out that there maybe some Pigs out your way..I'm going to make a couple trips and see if I can find any signs..

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If you are talking about a hard cast bullet, then I much prefer H-110/296 (same powder and always has been), weather gas checked or plain base. If you are talking about soft lead bullets, then neither powder is t he best choice

·
Inactive
935 Posts
Let me suggest that what the bullet is made of is only part of the decision in powders. JWP475 added more info based on the alloy or hardness of the bullet (I still drool thinking about that 475 of his :)). But there is also the bullet weight. H-110 generally does not ignite well with light for caliber bullets. A clear example of that would be a 125gr lead bullet in a 357 mag. I don't personally use much 2400 but I think it might work well in that application. So if the bullet is heavy for caliber, there is a good chance H-110 will work well in it. Even then it depends on the design and hardness of the bullet. I have shot 180gr lead bullets in my 357 that were perfect with H-110 and I have shot 185gr lead bullets that, because of their unique designs, did not do their best with H-110 but required a slightly faster powder. I find that jacketed bullets for weight have more resistance in case/barrel so it's easier to ignite H-110. I don't shoot jacketed bullets in my revolvers anymore because the Beartooth Bullets work so well.

So in the end my answer is, it depends. My humble suggestion is to stick with 2400 unless it simply won't give you the performance you need and your are sure H-110 will give it to you. Your question was vague as it did not refer to specific caliber or bullets. If you care to be more specific there are probably guys on the forum who have specific knowledge that can help you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Bill.I guess I didn't say for what bullet. I have been shooting a lot of 250-255 gr. Keith style SWC.Heat treated to about 18 BHN. The main reason I posted this was that I have been trying to get a good load for some Barnes 225gr. copper bullets.Trying to get more speed with less pressure. The reason I'm playing around with the Barnes is that here in California where I want to hunt pigs you can't use lead bullets.Condor area..I'm shooting a super blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel.With the lube I make and the 2400 I can put 100 rounds through my gun and it's not dirty at all with the lead.I'm useing CCI 350 mag primers and it looks like most of the powder is burning..I want to get more out of the copper bullets since I am forced to use them if I want to hunt there.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
Load Data lists 21.5 grains of H110 for 225 grain Barnes bullet at 1,402 fps out of a 5 1/2" Blackhawk Bisley and 18 grains of 2400 for 1,340 fps. Obviously you will get more with the additional 2 1/2" of barrel. For me I'd stick with the 2400 but that extra 60 fps or so might be worth it to you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks my friend..Where did you find that data?? I'm going to be scouting around down there around the San Diego River for any signs of pigs over the next couple months.Got some info from the DFG and the Rangers. Don't know if your into pig hunting but if I find some good signs it would be cool to have some one to hunt with..Not the smartest thing to hunt pigs by yourself..

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have been shooting a lot of 250-255 gr. Keith style SWC.Heat treated to about 18 BHN. The main reason I posted this was that I have been trying to get a good load for some Barnes 225gr. copper bullets.
My favorite powders for top end .44 Mag loads is 2400 and W296 (H110 with a different label). The difference between the two is that W296 will give the best velocities, but accuracy is only good as you reach the top end of the range. 2400 will not hit W296/H110 speeds safely, but accuracy is good through the entire range of suitable charges. +/-

For the Barnes bullets, which I have not used, I'd go with H110/W296 first.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.I'm playing around with the H110 to see how I like it..I do like that 2400 and been using it for years but want to push them Barns bullets faster with out the cases sticking.Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a different take on all of this. For cast bullets with GC's (all I use), I use 2400, but, I only drive my bullets at a tad over 1000 fps. If the size of the game goes up, the weight of the bullet goes up, but, the velocities remain at that 1000 fps mark........accurate, easy to shoot, and they penetrate like there is no tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I'll play.

I'm a fan of H110. I find it works well with jacketed and lead, but must also specify that it works with Beartooth Bullets. I have not tried it with ANY other Mfg. lead bullets.
I drive 265's and 300's over 1000fps in my .45colt blackhawk and Winnie trapper, with absolutely no leading of the barrels.

I have loaded some .357mag with it, and used a 132 grain lead SWC. I used the data for a 125 grain.
Again, no leading [and no GC] I do not know the Mfg .of the bullets, or the hardness, but if I had to guess, I'd say someone made them....not commercial.

I've pretty given up on jacketd bullet reloading too, except for my 9mm, 45acp and .40
The best idea I could offer is to do exactly what you wrote:

Experiment with some loads, say five or so of each, so you do not waste alot of good hard lead bullets!

Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So Flat Top, are you using hard cast bullets or are you using softer lead?? What's the GC for at them speeds??Do you get enough pressure for the bullet to obturate ? Lots of question I know. I've been shooting gun for a long time but never been into hunting.Now at 56 I really want to hunt pigs..I have always made my bullets to go to the max that my hands could handle except for my target load I us in my competition shoots.Thanks for your help.I need it.LOL

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I use both. For top loads in the 44 Special I like the 2400 better. Revolvers do have preferences so I try different loads and bullets with a new gun. If you have a leading problem, IMR4227 will usually solve the problem.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
There is a secret powder for 44 mag hard cast. It is Accurate #5. The difference in accuracy is astounding.
Chief RID, just curious, what does it do?

My favorite powder for cast, no GC, top speeds, is Herco. I can get the better commercial hard cast bullets to 1100-1200fps.

I have not tried AA #5, although several other AA powders have proven very good. So, I'm curious as to what it has that makes it your favorite.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I will be loading my first hard cast (penn) bullets this coming weekend. I have H110 and Bluedot and a good starting point for the 240 gr and 320 gr. bullets. I will post some results. ( 44 mag SRH 7.5 barrel)

·
Banned
278 Posts
Thanks Bill.I guess I didn't say for what bullet. I have been shooting a lot of 250-255 gr. Keith style SWC.Heat treated to about 18 BHN. The main reason I posted this was that I have been trying to get a good load for some Barnes 225gr. copper bullets.Trying to get more speed with less pressure. The reason I'm playing around with the Barnes is that here in California where I want to hunt pigs you can't use lead bullets.Condor area..I'm shooting a super blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel.With the lube I make and the 2400 I can put 100 rounds through my gun and it's not dirty at all with the lead.I'm useing CCI 350 mag primers and it looks like most of the powder is burning..I want to get more out of the copper bullets since I am forced to use them if I want to hunt there.
NorthFork makes a .45 cal 260 gr cup point solid copper bullet for the 45 Colt and 454 Casull. The base of the bullet has micro groove rings machined into it to reduce pressure. In fact the whole bullet is CNC machined out of pure copper rod. They are more expensive than the Barnes bullets but will penetrate anything in NA out of a Blackhawk. The cup point solid flattens at 1200 fps impact velocity and looks like a rivet plowing through tissue. It is not listed in the NorthFork catalog but is available. It is CA approved as lead free. If you want a slug that is more like the conventional 45 Colt weight then I'd get these. There is also one listed in the catalog in .458 for the 45-70 and 450 Marlin. It will give you a good idea of what the 45 Colt bullet looks like. http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/bullets/?bweight=6

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
All of the bullets that I saw on the page of your link are rifle bullets not handgun bullets. All of them were .458" diameter, the 45 Colt/454 use .451/.452 bullets

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.