Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have about a half-pound of H335 left over from my days of shooting a 7mm BR. I'm just curious if there are any suitable loads for this powder in the .454 Casull or if I'm looking to blow my Encore up along with my hand. Let me know, otherwise I'll just hang on to it til I get a caliber that it's suited to a little better.
Selmer

·
Registered
716 Posts
Selmer,

H335 originated as a military powder for the 5.56 NATO (223 Remington). However, it does have a broad range of use, but not in the 454 Casull. H335 is a medium-fast rifle powder and I load it in a 30-06 with 110-130 grain varmit bullets.

Other powders of similar burning rate as H335 are BL-C(2), AA2460, W748, Norma202 and Vihtavouri n133.

Shelve the H335 and get some H110, W296, IMR4227 or 2400.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Selmer:
Here's a link to Hodgdon's data. They recommend Lil'Gun too. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/454casul.php

Since H335 is slower than the recommended powders, a case full isn't likely to blow up you or your gun, but you won't get good velocity, since it won't be done burning by the time it leaves the barrel. On the other hand, very small charges of slower than optimum powders occassionaly blow up guns for reasons that are not well understood. That's scientific lingo for "We don't have a clue about what's going on".

Bye
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts