Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 24 grs. of H4227 be a safe starting load behind a 385 lfngc in my .475 Linebaugh? The Hodgdon data I have used 28 grs. that seemed hot from the pressure shown. I have not used this powder before. Would H4227 be good to use with the 325 gr. XTP bullet?  

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like H4227 in my .475 much better than W296/H110.  I also like 2400, but H4227 seems to work better in my gun.

There are a couple loads on LoadSwap for the .475 using H4227.  I have personally put 23.5 grains under the 425gr Cast performance bullet, with good results.  I would expect 24 grains under the 385gr bullet to be a fine place to start.  I have some load data from John Taffin showing a 395gr bullet on top of 23 gr H4227 as a start load with 27gr H4227 as a max.   All these loads from both Taffin and me are using WW45-70 brass, so adjust accordingly is you have Hornady or Buffalo Bore.  

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Husker for the info. I did not realize that the Buffalo bore and Starline brass were weaker then making my brass from the 45-70 brass. The Hodgdon data load of 28 grs. and 385 gr. cast used starline brass. Husker do you shoot a F.A. or a custom? Mine is a Bowen converted Redhawk 5.5 in. barrel.
Well thanks again and am looking foward to tring the H-4227. Jack

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jack K,

I'm not sure what I said that caused you to think the Starline/BBA brass is weaker.  Just the opposite is true; both Starline and Hornady brass is stronger than cut-down 45-70.  The increased strength comes from having thicker walls.  The result is lower case capacity.  That is what I meant by "adjust accordingly".  Typically a load for 45-70 brass will produce greater pressure in the smaller cases like Starline/BBA and Hornady.

My gun is also a Bowen, based on the Bisley frame.  I asked him to make mine with non-recessed charge holes precisely so I could use 45-70 brass.  That was when the only alternative was BBA, and their &#36110 price for 100 rds of brass.  Now Hornady brass is selling for around &#3630/100, less than I can buy 45-70 brass for.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Husker, sorry I misunderstood. So far I haven't had time to try any of the H-4227 loads Holidays and all but after the first of the year I should have plenty of time to get out and shoot. Ill be using my LBT 385 gr. LFN gc, 440 gr. SWC pb and the 325 gr. XTP.
Well hope you and yours have a Happy and Safe Christmas and New Years! Jack K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts