Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3lbs of this powder. Don't remember what ctg I bought it for, probably 7STW. I have read that it works for .375 H&H with compressed loads and heavy bullets, but have been unable to find any data. I have 300gr Woodleigh solids, 300grFailSafes, 300gr Partitions, and somewhere 350Woodleighs. I might also be able to use it for 600OverKill if the H&H is wrong application. I have also heard this powder has been discontinued. If that is the case maybe I should just burn it off in open air and be rid of it.

Andy

·
Registered
767 Posts
I doubt it will work very well in your application, but I wouldn't throw it away either.

Do you know anyone locally that reloads for 257 Mag/264 Win Mag/.270 Weatherby/7mm Mag/.300 Mag/8mm Mag? Maybe set up a trade of some sorts. This powder isn't made anymore, but that's not because it wasn't good for what it was intended for!

I'd love to get my hands on 3lbs of this powder. Unfortunately unless you live local, dealing with Hazmat is a pain in the butt.

I've heard of people using this powder for cast bullets in .30-06 class cartridges.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 375 h+h likes a rifle powder in the medium burn range,Mine likes Imr 4064 ,h 870 is slowwwwwwww burning probally better of used for overbores i.e 7mm rum

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've been looking. I cannot find any data for any bullet that uses 870 in a .375 H&H. That stuff is Sloooow.
Not sure that you could put enough into the case to make it worthwhile.
Pete

·
Registered
767 Posts
What about with very heavy for caliber bullets? Say the Woodleigh 350gr or the Rhino 380gr?
It will go bang, but won't be anywhere near a full load. You'll also probably get a lot of unburned powder because of low pressure.

List it for sale or trade at your local range/gunshop/etc and see if there's any interest. H870 was a great powder for the overbore magnums but just won't be optimal in a .375 H&H unless you want to dabble in duplex loads. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duplex Loads

Ya mean like mixing it with Bullseye....No Thanks!

I have put together some triplex loads for .454Casull. They were the original loads Dick used in Colt brass. I won't disclose the order they go in the case or the amount but they include: H110, Bullseye, and Bluedot. Makes for some interesting shooting!

Andy

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Ya mean like mixing it with Bullseye..
Well...it wouldn't have to be Bullseye. More like SR 4759.
But.....I wouldn't.
Pete

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ya mean like mixing it with Bullseye....No Thanks!

I have put together some triplex loads for .454Casull. They were the original loads Dick used in Colt brass. I won't disclose the order they go in the case or the amount but they include: H110, Bullseye, and Bluedot. Makes for some interesting shooting!

Andy
The whole idea of mixing powders makes sense in a lab, but the trouble with mixing powders is you can never be sure they will stay where you put them in the case!

·
Registered
8 Posts
H870 in the 375

As others have already stated, H870 is miles too slow to get anywhere near full operating pressure in the 375 H&H.

Even H4831 is too slow.83 grains only produces about 2300 FPS in my 375 with 300 gr Bearclaws and requires extreme compression to seat the bullet.

Something between Varget/R15 and 4350 SC is your best bet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts