Shooters Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As a few others have stated, I think that the Lee autoprimes need just a small dab of grease on them occasionally. My two are almost 40 years old, and I never have broken one. Only reason that I began looking for something else is because my hands don't stand up to using them like they used to, but a small dab of grease on them does wonders.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I didn't make my point(my bad) My RCBS hand priming tool has more leverage and is definitely made of better material than the Lee was.

·
Premium Member
14,554 Posts
I'm still using the original Autoprimes and have three of them. Two have been shimmed with .005 brass and all have a smear of grease on the toggle pin.

Reactions: baddad457

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All's right with the world now. My son gave me back the old style Lee Primer I'd given him a couple years ago to get him started. It's only had maybe a thousand primers seated with it, so should last me the rest of my life.
:ROFLMAO:(y)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Have the lee priming tool and previously a RCBS handheld tool. Never really liked either one as the tray cover on both would loosen and my delicate thumbs would require both to seat primers. The Foster-Appelete Co-Ax press has the primer seater built into it and works great. Have to single feed the primers and change out the primer seater plug when switching from large to small primers, but that's no big deal. It is a positive primer seater with adjustable jaws to fit case heads of any size (except .50 Cal).
I only use that for demonstrations although it is exceptional. I use the Forster priming tool. Only thing I don't like about it is only 40 primers at a time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Watch some YouTube videos and decide on an upgrade. I started with a Lee Breechlock Challenger kit. It’s served it’s purpose. Eventually I will upgrade to other brands. The case length gauge for trimming(with lock stud) is simple and effective. The factory crimp dies are good. I use the hand primer ( good sense of feel) and have no experience with the auto prime. Sorry I can’t be of help there except to say there are likely others you’ll be more satisfied with. I had to grind down the hand trimmer shell holder to get it to fit-lol. Lee products get the job done and are ok to learn on until you get more experienced and know what upgrades you want. For the most part, many of their products are a lower grade of materials than others. Ultimately, I don’t mind I bought a Lee starter kit, and will always make use of some of their equipment. I don’t doubt some have issues with the auto primer. They’d likely work with you. You ought to call them. I appreciate Lee’s affordability approach and some equipment is innovative and outright nifty. Unless an experienced reloader is guiding a beginner through their purchases, a beginner should be well served with a Lee starter kit. I’m getting sub moa for the wsm cartridges I reload. I haven’t even checked for run out(concentric) nor used a chronograph.With those type of results, Lee products apparently get the job done.Somehow I turned that into a Lee products review- LMAO.
Definitely get another brand auto primer if Lee doesn’t replace it.

·
Premium Member
14,554 Posts
Baddad457 Here's a paper shim in place instead of the brass. It just increases the lift by about .005.

I buy the old Lee priming tools anytime I see one for sale. I've never found a better tool for the job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,554 Posts
As stated, the real shim is brass (actually a strip of high-temp silver solder) and has lasted about 30 years, so far.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts