Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New here. I recently acquired a antique English Rook rifle, excellent condition, in .360 #5.
Looking to load rounds for this. I have Donnelly’s Manual of Cartridge Conversions and know that .357
brass fits, I’ve confirmed, but must be trimmed. Planning on using Lyman 358430 and minie base with
Goex FFF. Don’t have loading equip yet.
Any help, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
You should be able to use .38 Spec. cases by trimming .10. Some .360 bores are closer to .365 than .358. There are powders suitable so BP doesn't have to be used. Anything listed for a .38 Long Colt is safe in Rook rifles in good condition.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.
You broadened my horizons since I'd never heard of a rook rifle.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You broadened my horizons since I'd never heard of a rook rifle.

FYI

(Rooks = Crows/Blackbirds/Ravens/etc)

Rook rifles had their start AFAIK in the U.K. for shooting pests/varmints in built up areas, because their cartridges are relatively mild, and the actions usually diminutive compared to "normal" hunting rifles.

Some are very nice/modern looking; others less so - YMMV (beauty is in the eye of the beholder)

Some British Rook rifles are hammerless (concealed) and expensive; others have an external hammer, and are less expensive & less sleek-looking.(IMO)

American fans sometimes convert a petite .410 break-open shotgun into a rook rifle by stubbing in a rifled barrel; others just use a small rifle in a smallbore - like the T/C Contender.

(Welcome to the forum, gilly ! )

·
Registered
45 Posts
.350 Rook

Gilly -

Howdy:

I am wondering whether you might be able to use #0000 buckshot for close-in mild loads;
if your rifle's bore diam allows ?

With regards,
357Ma

1 - 6 of 6 Posts