Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don`t mean to ask what may be a silly question, but here goes. Would 20 grs. of H110 w/320 gr. hardcast gc 44 bullet be a safe load? And 20.5 w/300 hardcast gc 44 bullet? I know there are hotter loads but I just want a good , sane yet potent load. I don`t want to reduce H110 too much. I did that once, and don`t care to again.I know there are knowledgeable people here and I want yor input. Thanks in advance for all your help.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bullets are LBT hardcast with gas checks from cast performance. I just don`t want to get into trouble with H110. I had a bullet lodge in the barrel one time using H110. I thought about using 2400, but I read all the time that H110/W296 is better for heavy cast bullets. If I hadn`t of noticed there was no hole in the target when I shot that time I don`t know what would have happened. Bet it wouldn`t have been pretty. Hope this helps to get an answer.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DOK,   Thanks for the above reply, I do appreciate it. I have been reloading for about 25 yrs. and the only problem I ever had was with H110. I just didn`t want to reduce it too much. I do know what cast performance uses for a starting load for 300 & 320 gr. LBT  44`s. I have seen some hot loads annd just don`t want to try them. I live in Idaho and wanted a good sane load, maybe to try on an elk this yr. I have Ruger SBH & RH revolvers and love both of them. Want to try BTB 280 gr. to hunt with next year. Sorry for the long reply, just trying to be better off safe than sorry. THANKS,    

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really want to thank everyone for all the replies. The guns I have are Ruger SBH and RH revolvers. I am not trying to use max loads, far from it. I only wanted to ask the original question so as not to reduce H110 too much, thats all.I do not want to use max loads! I couldn`t find any loads on loadswap or anywhere else that weren`t what I would consider pretty hot.I`d like to be able to just use a safe, yet potent load. I hope this will answer some of the things I may have left out before.  

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
James, Thats a great reply. Thats why I asked the original question in the first place. I`m still not sure if I`ve ever received an answer to it. I feel like I`m stuck in the middle, with nowhere to go with this.I too am a handgun hunter, Ive taken elk and deer with a 44 magnum. I think I`ll just start at the loads suggested by Cast Performance and work up a little bit. I don`t want a hot load.  Thanks,  

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
DOK, a great post! Very detailed, very informative, very much to the point and very helpful. I`m sure that took up quite a bit of your time, and I`d just like you to know how much I appreciate that.It is strange to see how different loads and guns can be a law unto themselves so to speak. I`ve had that happen before trying to work up loads, etc. I`ll get back to everyone when I get this all set and done. Thanks again and hope all is well with you.  Don  

(Edited by don44 at 6:49 pm on Sep. 20, 2001)

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Leo, that 21 gr. of #2400 sounds like it would be a bit on the hot side. Have you noticed any pressure signs? Just curious to find out is all.I`m always trying to find out how others reload,and how they shoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.