Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im looking for a handgun powerful enough to dispatch large animals and two legged varmints reliable accurate thats my main criteria. I have a glock 17 but it was carried by the security team at the 1996 olympics so thats a no go for carrying, a 1911 but its a colt and in almost in 100% condition so it can be carried but its not a beater and a cz 82 but its kinda underpowered and thats all for centerfire handguns. Any ideas?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I carry a 4" 357 mag for general purpose. Take your pick of brand, S&W, Ruger,Taurus and others all make guns that will work just fine, find one that you like the feel of. 44 mag is nice for the power, but can be a bit much to get enough practice with to be proficient. A "hit" with a 357 will beat a "miss" with a 44 any day of the week.

Your 45 would work quite well as long as you are willing to shoot it enough. If it is a "collector" piece then it might be a good idea to get another one to use. As much as I like my revolvers, and don't "like" the feel of my 1911, I still hit best and most consistently with the dang thing. Hits beat misses, every single time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Why not carry the Glock or the 1911? I understand you say the Colt is in 100% condition but if you carry it in a good holster your not going to ruin it. Besides, I'm from the school of thought that they are a tools made to be used. Of course there are those exceptions such as true collectable firearms or family heirlooms.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**** you know your right Gaston and John moses would be rolling in their graves knowing i have two perfectly good guns and their is nothing stopping me sure its a mint colt but its actually a 1991 and the glock reallly isnt all that special thanks you guys talked me out of my insanity besides bowling pin accuracy at 25+ yards with a 230gr fmj sounds pretty sufficient.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Where do you reside Soontobe? The 'large animals' definition is the main interest. For 'two-legged varmints', many will do fine. The search narrows if large animals include bears, moose, or if just hormone-drunk deer, the answers will be different. More info....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Midwest so large might be a hog but i have heard of smallish bears around but at close ranges would be also used to bag dear and yotes. I think 1911 is my best bet.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Midwest so large might be a hog but i have heard of smallish bears around but at close ranges would be also used to bag dear and yotes. I think 1911 is my best bet.
The 1911 would cover a lot of that, although think a 357 DA revolver with at least 4" barrel (and appropriate ammo) would be a better choice. Besides, you need a plausible excuse to buy another gun!:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amen brother but I truly believe that in my close situations 8 rounds of 230gr .45 caliber bullet at 950fps would serve me better expecially since i can shoot mansize at 63 yards and im no handgun marksman except for with my 17 ofcourse:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
What type of large animals??
A 45 ACP fails the energy test for legal hunting at least in some areas. Checking the regs about what's legal to use would be a good start.
If 357 is legal, it will work for deer size animals. Not a good choice for bear or elk. I know nothing about hogs.
As with all weapons, with a 357 you will have to know the weapon and get within the right range.
A 44 is a great choice for hunting, but not a great defense gun. Might be more than you want to shoot wherever you are in need and one in a size that you want to shoot isn't easy to conceal.
Hard to pick one handgun to fill both uses. Pack a 1911 for people, pick up a 44 for cirtters.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Legally, and realistically, I'm with 45/70Sharps. For legal hunting in most states you need a gun that is bigger and recoils a lot more than you want to carry concealed or shoot hundreds of rounds a year with.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glock 29. ;)

It's the most firepower per unit area you can buy and virtually anyone can comfortably conceal one.

Pound

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glock 29. ;)

It's the most firepower per unit area you can buy and virtually anyone can comfortably conceal one.

Pound for pound, the Glock 29 is the king of the fight-stoppers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea

I have shot the 29 id rather have the compact or full size besides the fact that a round blew up and that if it wasn't a glock id be being fed applesauce through a tube right now their to small for that round i do love the power though.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The blued 4 and 5/8 inch Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 250 gr lead swc/wfn 1000 fps load will fill the bill as an all around carry piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi

If you want a semi-auto and a .45 acp I recomend the CZ97b. It big and impressive but still conseallable and handles well. But I do not like the 45acp for hunting applications. If the were still on the market the coonan modle B .357 mag semi-auto would meet your needs. If you want a revolver Taurus makes a 5 shot 44mag revolver "Tracker" with a 4 inch barrel. I have owned .44 mag Taurus for nearly 3 years and it has never failed me even with heavy factory loads.

Budd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts