Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using this year for their handgun hunting? I am using my Super Blackhawk 44 Rem Mag with 240gr Nosler JHP's, H110, WW cases, and CCI350 primers. Shoots pretty well out of my 7.5" gun and should be good for these little Va deer. I do have some Beartooth 250gr WFNGC bullets on the bench and may work up a load for them if I have time. They look like some mean bullets and should be good for bigger game also. Scotty

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well I'm gonna pack my Ruger Security Six in a hip holster. Its not my main hunting rig. Just a backup in case I get a deer close, say about 25 yards. I've killed a couple with it before using 158 gr. Rem. jhp and 15.5 gr. H110 and CCI 550 primers. Its a warm load but hasn't gave me any pressure signs and shoots good. My dream gun is a Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'll definitely take my 6.5JDJ Contender out a time or two, although season will be far too short this year, since I'll be hunting out of state the first week of gun.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Ive got a single six, that I just mounted a scope on. Gonna try it out on some squirrels when season opens Oct 9. This is my first time with a scoped handgun, kinda anxious to see how well I can shoot it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'll be carrying my Blackhawk Convertible in .45LC.

For a long gun locally, it'll be either my 870 with slugs or my Henry in 45LC due to the heavy cover. If I go to my SiL's camp, I'll take the 700BDL in .308 for the longer shots.

I just hope I SEE something this year.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This year probably my scoped M45 Dan Wesson in .45LC. 250 XTPs over 15 grains of BlueDot for about 1200 fps and 2 moa. It kills TX deer....

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I hunt deer with a handgun in close cover. 35 yards is a long shot. With a 260 gr. Keith-style bullet over 9.2 gr. of Unique, which results in right at 900 fps, my Uberti 1873 Flat Top Target gets the job done cleanly with minimal fuss.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This year I will be using my BFR in .500 JRH with a 6.5-inch barrel and an Ultradot 30 strapped to the top. My load consists of a 440 grain cast bullet (truncated cone) at right about 1,300 fps.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bisley Hunter in .44 with a red dot scope. I'm using a 280gr. WFNGC from Montana Bullet Works, 11.0gr. Unique, for about 950fps(I guess). Accurate, pleasant shooting.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a pretty pleasant load. How does it shoot for you. Sounds like a good game getter without a ton of recoil. Scotty

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm shooting about 1.5in. at 25yrds. It's pretty thick where I hunt, So that makes me deer-good to 50, can'y hardly see past that anyway. Killed a deer at about 40yrds. with a 250WFNGC at about 950-1000 last year, basically the same load...just a hammer!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 45colt with a 4 5/8bl will get all the duties this year.I will be using 360,350,300,275,and 255gr boolits.As one performs it's duties I'll move on to the next.All will be 1200fps and slower.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trying out my 357max Contender for the first time.

IL deer are invisible beyond 50-60 yds in the woods I hunt, so it should be more than enough to get the job done within that distance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 8" Python with red dot scope is ready to go, but if I can load for my new 357 max (missing small rifle primers) I'll be taking my Contender out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ive put down three big hogs so far this season with a 454 Taurus Raging Bull. When you hit'em under the ear,,,they DONT move. Im shooting a 260Gr soft point.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My 480Ruger SRH. Starline cases and 325g Speer softpoint "DeepCurl" bullets at 1400+- ft/sec
Update...

I loaded some of the 325g Speer softpoint "DeepCurl" bullets with 300MP powder this last weekend... should veald around 1500 ft/sec.

I will let you know how it gos

T

1 - 20 of 25 Posts