Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start a war.  Looking in my Speer manual, a 44 mag RIFLE will spit out a 300 gr bullet at the same velocity as a 300 gr bullet in a 454 Casull handgun.  454 is a bit wider, but the 44 would have a greated sectional density.  Why is the Casull handgun considered a large game gun, but the 44 mag RIFLE is only a deer gun?  Go ahead, make my day!  (By the way, I own neither gun, just a 45 Colt).

·
Banned
50 Posts
The velocity of the 300g bullet in the 454 is held to that velocity for best work with speer bullets. You can make those 300grainers go to 1750fps out of a casull, not 1550.  As far as a 44mag in a rifle being a deer gun, never heard that. I always thought is could take anything on this continent, as lond as your shots are at woods ranges. doug

·
Registered
156 Posts
I own 44 magnum revolvers and carbines, they have always been powerful enough for me. I`ve taken elk, deer and other animals with 44`s. Why some want to put the 44 magnum down is beyond me. It has it`s limits, but within those limits its very potent. A hunter has to get within range to use either caliber and then place his shot! Well constructed bullets are also needed, then place that shot.A 44 magnum will do the job for a hunter, handgun or carbine. I`m sure the 454 Casull would too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In a gun like the Ruger Redhawk, you can get 330 grain cast .44 LFNs over 1300 fps. I personally am comfortable with that for any use a revolver might be put to, and don't hunger for a .454- but a lot of guys love the .45 caliber, and if the .454 is their answer, OK by me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts