Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently shot a .308 pistol with a Burris 2X scope (unknown model) and noticed the field of view was extremely small in comparison with my experience with scoped rifles and it was not easy to find the target in the scope. Are there pistol scopes suitable for rifle calibers that have a larger field of view for more easily finding game (in the scope) and tracking moving game (until it stops for the shot)?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Not AFAIK. The best thing to do would be to optimize the scope's position, or obtain another scope with the proper eye relief window, so that in the shooting position the scope's eyepiece shows a full sight picture ILO a partial one.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
All extended eye relief scopes, ie handgun scopes, will have a much more restricted FOV than does an equal powered rifle scope. You give up FOV for the longer eye relief and it is a trade off you have to make. Use it some, you will get use to it.
If not, you may have to go to a red-dot type scope which is not FOV critical, but also offers no magnification and a much less precise aiming point.
I use handgun scopes on all my hunting pistols and there are two things you must do IMO.
1. Do not over power your pistol. A 4x on a rifle may be fine but on a pistol, because of the limited FOV, if the shot is up close then all you will see is hair. High power is your worst enemy in a handgun scope.
2. Practice, practice, practice. That will solve the problem of not being able to line up the scope quickly with your eye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts